Complete France Forum

bread machines - which yeast?

Yvonne

I have a bread machine that I tend use to bake the ready mix  seed / wholemeal breads. Just add water and off you go!

A friend recently gave me a brioche recipe which I tried, using a packet of dried yeast that I had brought back from the UK some time ago. It was amazing, the most delicious brioche brimming over the pan!

I've since tried to make it with the 'levure chimique' and 'levure boulangere' (both dried in sachets) and it has been a disaster. I end up with a sloppy mess in the bottom that even the chickens won't eat!

Can anyone please tell me which yeast I should be buying??? I am very disappointed as I want to re-create the amazing brioche!

Thanks,

Abi

'levure chimique' is baking powder rather than yeast isn't it?  As said above, the packets of dried yeast are next to the flour usually or you will find the live stuff in a chiller cabinet, small cubes wrapped in paper or foil - err the yeast that is, not the chillers ..... oh never mind.

I have found that the dried stuff works better in breadmakers than the freash for some reason.

Thanks for the advise. Do you just add it dry with the flour? The brioche recipe calls for melted butter/milk which I allowed to cool a little so the yeast didn't react too quickly.

I hadnt realised the levure chimique was baking powder....that explains a lot!

Thanks,

Abi

Archived