Complete France Forum

Fish for frying

mooky

I have just been watching Hugh F W, gone fishing. I love fish/chips, but like many people don't want to eat Cod or Haddock if possible for ecological reasons. What do people suggest in France. I have tried Peche du Nil, nice and fleshy, is this an ecological alternative?

I often do fried fish and have used perche de Nil, but prefer cod or haddock, though it's very expensive and as you say not a good idea ecologically. I usually ask for what they call "darne" and then ask them to fillet it. One of the tastiest fish, and very cheap, is sardines, which they sell filleted here, then salt and pepper and grill.

Perche du Nil is a definite no-no if you care about the environment, as its introduction and farming has been and continues to be an ecological disaster, as seen in  the 2004 movie "Darwin's nightmare": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin's_Nightmare

Hake (merlu) seems a reasonable alternative, merlan (whiting) too, lieu (coley), probably a few others.

Grey mullet is also available, very cheap when in season. Not too far from the Med here, not only we get fresh sardines very cheap, but also fresh mackerel, equally wonderful when grilled.

How about saumonette?  It's very like (if not the same as) rock salmon and fries really well in batter.  Although the name is a bit confusing it is a white fish - nothing like salmon.  It seems to be readily available in supermarkets and fishmongers and is reasonably priced.

Janet

One of the cheapest white fish meats you can get from the supermarket in Europe is the

Lieu Noir.    It is great as an alternative to cod and works very well in fish'n'chips.  Looks like cod, taste similar and is quite firm.  I would deep fry it as oposed to just frying.

http://www.sea-ex.com/fish/names1.htm

For frying the Gunnard is cheap at the moment and is very easy to fry.... just fry fillets in butter and olive oil.  Boil the rest for some soup.

Happy frying

osie

I reckon the best cod substitue is lieu (coley or colefish ... sometimes pollack).  When absolutely fresh I and properly cooked, I defy anyone to tell the difference. (Though if a few days old it is a little more watery than a fresh cod fillet).

[quote user="David_Janet"]

How about saumonette?  It's very like (if not the same as) rock salmon and fries really well in batter.  Although the name is a bit confusing it is a white fish - nothing like salmon.  It seems to be readily available in supermarkets and fishmongers and is reasonably priced.

Janet

[/quote]

Rock Salmon is just a fishmonger's fancy name for DogFish. Saumonette is the lesser spotted kind (in french). Both look like a miniature shark.

rgds

Hagar

Isn't it interesting how you never see ugly fish displayed as whole fish on a fishmonger's slab? (Dog Fish and Monk Fish come to mind)

Archived