Complete France Forum

Mint Sauce

Having no idea how to get hold of mint sauce last night and having cooked lamb my wife came up with a great emergency measure... Simply take a little toothpaste, mix with vinegar and some chopped nettle leaves and hey presto... your own home made substitute!

Crispy Dandruff.

PS

Don't always expect the unexpected coz then it would not be unexpected... Better to always expect the expected...  I find 

One problem with the DD. Have you ever looked at the 'pony & trap' that goes into toothpaste!? It is NEVER been a good idea to swallow the stuf with all the chemicals that go into it!

http://www.freearticlesarchive.com/article/What_s_In_Your_Toothpaste/10618/0/  . This is just one example!!

We had sourie d'agneau this evening, just cooked VERY slowly in red wine and onions. No need for mint sauce or toothpaste, just wonderful!!

Oh yes, and a nice bottle of Chateau du Donjon Minervois to wash it down!! A lovely local red!!

Mint Sauce made like my Grandma used to make forty years ago.

A handful of young mint leaves.   Don't use the stalks and use the leaves from the upper part of the stems as they are sweeter and more tender.

1tbsp white sugar and half cup vinegar.   (We used malt vinegar in Uk but use whatever your preference here)

Wash the leaves and finely chop them.   Mix sugar into vinegar and pour onto leaves and stir.

This is best used immediately but will keep a couple of days in a sealed jar.

Not sure I like the idea of toothpaste as an ingredient though [+o(] 

Archived