Complete France Forum

Vive les champignons?

odile

Trompettes des morts - the one mushroom species I've never found. My dad finds them all the time, but not moi. Why giv e such a name to a good edible species?

Be careful when buying mushrooms on French market, one species 'les p'tits gris' can make some people feel very ill. Dad and I can eat them no prob, but mum is violently ill. They are illegal for sale in Switzerland for that reason.

Any picture, Puzzled? Probably some kind of milk cup (does white sap ooze when you break a piece?). If it is most of them are edible but in my view, not very nice. Italians love them! BUT I WOULD NEVER IDENTIFY a mushroom without a good picture - just too dangerous. Please be careful if you don;t know what you are doing - not worth it. Most pharmacies and Mairies can give advice, or tell you where you can get it.

[quote user="odile"]Trompettes des morts - the one mushroom species I've never found. My dad finds them all the time, but not moi. Why giv e such a name to a good edible species?[/quote]

Also called trompettes des Maures and cornes d'abondance.

ask the Mairie if they run any courses for beginners? Otherwise do you have good French neighbours who could take you along and teach you? Mind you, the locals are often VERY secretive about their 'coins' (best mush areas, not money! - mind you good mush make good ...). When we do eventually move over, I intend to run some French language + mushroom weeks (also + cross country skiing and wild flowers,etc, weeks.....        in the meantime, trying to sell our beautiful house here in Leics. ahahahahahahahahah)

Archived