Complete France Forum

5 fruit/veg. per day

Patf

Watching "Have I got News for You" last night, I wondered what items can be included in the 5 fruit or veg.

Someone suggests that chips and tomato sauce are two items. [:D] What about fruit juice?

If you make a veg. soup with several vegetables, can you count them all separately? Or should they be raw, as in salads?

And should you have a mix of types, eg root, legumes, etc.

Possibly this question should be in the Health section?

Odile, it's not about losing weight, it's about "healthy" eating, whatever that is.

Wooly said they (the empire-builders) were sent to the four corners of the earth to colonise them and I was only making a joke on his name.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd want to eat 5 fruit or veg in a single day.  I probably do most days but it's not something that I get hung up about.

Mind you, I get hung up about lots of other, more interesting, things but I can't say that I am enthused by cabbages and apples or whatever!

[quote user="Patf"]

Watching "Have I got News for You" last night, I wondered what items can be included in the 5 fruit or veg.

Someone suggests that chips and tomato sauce are two items. [:D] What about fruit juice?

If you make a veg. soup with several vegetables, can you count them all separately? Or should they be raw, as in salads?

And should you have a mix of types, eg root, legumes, etc.

Possibly this question should be in the Health section?

[/quote]

How about the quote from QI?

"In Scotland, when we buy chips we leave some and eat them cold the next day. We call that salad."

Puzzled - it was actually your link with the jaffa cakes that was shown on HIGNFY. Then others suggested the chips etc.

Dick that is an original suggestion - a tasty salad made from cold chips, plenty of mayonnaise and some chopped chives scattered over.

Steve - if you stick to red wine your argument probably holds, as I believe the grape skins are an integral part of the wine's nutritive value.

We probably do have about 5 a day most days, as I have to keep my cholesterol level down. I think this is not only done by avoiding certain foods, but also eating plenty  of fruit and veg.

From my own experience, that is true.....

My ex partner ( English ) eats in a very unhealthy way.. He has no fruit, no vegs, only ready made things, his favourite is " chicken ding ".....

( Sound of the microwave when opened...........  ) [Www]

When I was over there I did MY SHOPPING inTesco, salad, vegs etc..

I felt my body NEEDED it..

PS : and YES, I like cooking

1 dried apricot, a few cranberries, 1 dried prune in my porridge = 3 + 1 glass of orange juice = 4 for breakfast

red cabbage and apple, roast taties + parsnip mash  = 3ish for lunch (+ roast pork)

1 banana this afternoon after dog walk

Vychissoise soup (leek + potatoe for supper then Raspberry puree (from garden/freezer) + greek yog = 3     Total 11.

Like you I find it very difficult when on holiday - especially in Italy and Spain, where you would EXPECT plenty of fruit and veg.

I am so please my daughter and SiL bring up my little grandson to eat lots of fruit and veg on a daily basis, and he loves them all.

Archived