Complete France Forum

Soupe à l'oignon

Clair

Good recipe - OH made it this morning & we've just had the first portions (there's a further 3 portions each).  Total cost of ingredients - €1 (+ the wine!)  Made a nice change from the Turnip & Roast Garlic soup. 

As usual when you're caramelising onions, be brave and don't bottle out of getting them really brown, but not burned.  Also, a fair bit of seasoning required, for our taste at least.

[quote user="Gardian"]

As usual when you're caramelising onions, be brave and don't bottle out of getting them really brown, but not burned.  Also, a fair bit of seasoning required, for our taste at least.

[/quote]

and be very patient, it can take half an hour easily to caramelise the onions

Cerise,

I slice the onions (I like red onions the most), and then add a big dollop of butter and some water and leave on overnight at the slowest setting.  Sorry, I don't use exact measurements, so cannot give you precise directions.  But it seems to work really well and I get lovely caramelized onions with loads of flavour.  I use them in curries and pasta dishes, but will try a French onion soup next

The simplest might be to put sliced onions in a crockpot in the morning  - add butter and oil (I think the butter really adds flavour) and a bit of water (a couple teaspoons).  I'm sure you can add bay leaves or peppercorns or whatever else you like.  Just keep checking every hour to make sure the onions are moist and browning nicely.

Happy cooking.

BP

Archived