Complete France Forum

Won ton soup

mint

Found some won ton wrappers in an oriental food shop/emporium when a friend took me there for lunch.

They have been in the freezer for weeks and now my jaded appetite demands something a bit different.

Can't be bothered with mincing pork, etc and have also found some meat for "farcies" in the freezer.

Wondering now whether to sort of "orientalise" the farcie mixture by adding some sesame oil and Madeira wine and seeing if I could cook won tons.

See link here:  http://chinesefood.about.com/od/chinesesouprecipes/r/wontonsoup.htm

I reckon it's do-able.

Only problem is, I have a whole pack of these won ton skins.  So, won tons, anybody?

OK, so nobody's interested enough to reply.............just as well in this instance because I reckon all of you know something that I don't.

Guess what, the "won ton" skins were no such thing, they were, in fact...............raviolli wrappings!

Just because I bought them at the Oriental shop and they  looked like won ton skins, I assumed that that was what they were.  How wrong appearances can be!

Anyway, fiddled with them and made little parcels and dropped them in boiling water.  And the result...........not so much "swallowing a cloud" (as that's what won ton means) but more like choking on pre-set concrete.  Really, I mean, talk about adding insult to injury!  And I had taken the trouble to prepare a nice dipping sauce with chillies from my own chilly plant, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce, etc.

OH, of course, conveniently doesn't eat meat, so he was excused from tasting the little offerings.  Nevermind, dog thinks they are pretty damn good and I think that perhaps I will make a little tomatoe sauce and eat them as raviolli.

Anyone for home-made raviolli?

Archived