Complete France Forum

cassoulet recipe

jan

[quote user="jan"]You are correct.  I should have said duck, sausage and pork belly[/quote]

now THAT sounds right [:D]

In fact the pork belly is quite like bacon..

I use a strip cut up as 'lardons'

there can be 'confit de canard' and saucisse   de Toulouse also (meaty pork sausage)

Here is an abbreviated version of Elizabeth David's recipe for Cassoulet de Toulouse:

2lb white haricots

1lb toulouse sausage

2to 3lb piece of pork sparerib or bladebone, boned

2to3lb pice breast or shoulder of lamb, boned

8 to10oz salt pork

onion, herbs, garlic, seasoning, breadcrumbs.

Soak beans overnight, then cook for 1to2 hours togeth with diced pork rind, soaked salt pork, onion herbs and garlic. Drain and keep the liquid.Discard onion.

Cook toulouse sausages for 20 min., partly roast the lamb.

Assemble: in a large casserole put a layer of  beans, plus rind, then sliced sausage, then the lamb and 2 kinds of pork, cut in pieces. Cover with the rest of the beans .Moisten with a cup or two of reserved liquid, a layer of breadcrumbs on the top.

Bake in a very low oven for 1and a half to 2 hours. Don't allow to dry out. You can stir in the crust and add more breadcrumbs, rebake until golden.

Sounds ideal for a cold winter's day. My mouth is watering.[:)]There's another recipe, for Cassoulet Colombié if you want it.

That is the Toulouse version, as you rightly say.

"Numerous regional variations exist, the best-known being from Castelnaudary, the self-proclaimed "Capital of Cassoulet", Toulouse, and Carcassonne. All are made with white beans (haricots blancs, lingots), duck or goose confit,

meat and sausages. In the cassoulet of Toulouse, the meats are pork and

mutton, the latter frequently a cold roast shoulder. The Carcassonne

version is similar but doubles the portion of mutton and sometimes

replaces the duck with partridge. The cassoulet of Castelnaudary uses a

duck confit (duck cooked for several hours in its own fat) instead of

mutton and serves it in a special dish (the "cassole")"

Source here

Archived