Complete France Forum

Jamie on Pork

mooky

I watched Jamies programme last night. I did not realise that I am probably eating pork from annimals kept in those awful cage things.

I am limited to where I can shop. I buy most of my meat from Intermarché. How can I tell what I am buying? I don't think I have seen free range meat in there. I was suffering watching those pigs, and would like to do my bit. I had been a vegetarian for 54 years, since coming to France I have eaten some meat. I cannot, though, accept meat from those conditions.  What words do I look for, for free range? Is this widespread in France. I live in 79

Many thanks for that,Clair.  I, too, was worried about pig rearing in France.  I now know what to look for.  I'm sure it will be more expensive than normal meat but at least I'll know that the animals have had a half decent existence.

[quote user="Clair"]I am very lucky that in this area of France, I can find meat which is produced in a traditional fashion.
Whether it's pork, lamb or beef, I can buy locally and traditionally bred.
[/quote]

What do you mean by traditional?

Pigs have been kept in sow pens for over 50 years.

Do you inspect each farm?

You are obviously a lot luckier than the unfortunate animals you eat.

I bet they all spend their time looking forward to a tradional death.

I am sure the animals in death know they are helping a traditionalist.

[quote user="Dog"]

You are obviously a lot luckier than the unfortunate animals you eat.

I bet they all spend their time looking forward to a tradional death.

I am sure the animals in death know they are helping a traditionalist.

[/quote]

That's an odd view for a former master fishmonger.

(yawn)

The village shops, the butcher's and the Gamm Vert source their meat locally.

The producer's name is displayed on a board, as well as the date of slaughter.

The slaughter house is within 40km of where I live.

The region has a tradition of "veau sous la mère".

The meat I buy is Label Rouge, which guarantees some form of traditional rearing.

I already know none of this will satisfy you, but you know what? I don't care anyway! [:D]

[quote user="Clair"](yawn)
The village shops, the butcher's and the Gamm Vert source their meat locally.
The producer's name is displayed on a board, as well as the date of slaughter.
The slaughter house is within 40km of where I live.
The region has a tradition of "veau sous la mère".
The meat I buy is Label Rouge, which guarantees some form of traditional rearing.

I already know none of this will satisfy you, but you know what? I don't care anyway! [:D]
[/quote]

It is perhaps obvious you have no care for animals if you believe that it is better to eat dead animals from a local source, the man that abuses them gives his name, has the taste of the sea and a pretty label.

Should I care when you have a meat related disease - I do -  and I also have compassion for those unfortunate animals. I do not understand your lack of care or compassion.

we all make choices, some are vegetarian, some vegan - I personally wish I was like cpbinet and would have the courage to rear and laughter for my own consumption- which probalby mean I couldn't do it and therefore would have to become vegetarian. However like clair, I try to source as natural a product reared with the best possible husbandry and slaughtered locally- and eat more quality than quantity.  I can never understand the argument that trying your best but not achieving perfection is practically worse than doing nothing.

[quote user="Clair"]You, me and most sensible people...
But for some, it's never good enough! [:D]

Troll: un individu qui persiste à lancer des discussions sur des sujets qui fâchent

[/quote]

You think you have sensibility on your side?

Please tell how many unfortunate animals with no choice died for your appetites last year?

Did I start this subject?

[quote user="Clair"]You, me and most sensible people...
But for some, it's never good enough! [:D]

Troll: un individu qui persiste à lancer des discussions sur des sujets qui fâchent

[/quote]

You think you have sensibility on your side?

Please tell how many unfortunate animals with no choice died for your appetites last year?

Archived