Complete France Forum

Pastis...."flakey" drink?

mint

For the first time ever last summer, I splashed out and bought a bottle of pastis for the stay of a very special guest who loves it.

I have recently found the remains of the bottle and, holding it up to the light, I can see lots of little flakes like fish scales floating around.

On pouring some of the contents out and passing them through a sieve, the flakes are separated and do indeed look just like fish scales.

Not only that, the drink has an oily look to it and I don't know whether to chuck it all out or try to find a cooking recipe using pastis.

Can't think of any dish tasting of pastis that is going to be universally popular, however. 

Question to the forum is this:

Is pastis best drunk quickly once opened?

I wonder whether you bought pastis aux écailles by accident. In  fact the scales are actually from a lizard skin which is inserted into the bottle and dissolves initially until the temparature falls and rises, when it reappears. It is in fact an effect of transparency. It is supposed to be much stronger than ordinary pastis and an aid to fertility. If so, you are lucky to have it as it is rare these days, so drink it down.

(sweets pposted with the bananananna in mind, I am sure!!)

Ah, tinabee, thank you, that would be it.  Silly me, I've kept it in the fridge.

Wools, you have wonderful powers of imagination and invention.  What I didn't realise was that you needed an "aid to fertility".  If it wasn't such a hassle (and the facteur might drink it himself), I'd send you the bottle.

In the meantime, just stick with the funny-shaped blue pills and hope you get lucky?[:)]

Thanks, Twinks, Nectarine and M, the person who visits and loves pastis also loves prawns, so nice solution there.

Renaud, do you prefer pastis to pineau?

Clair, I don't think I know anisette.  But, I do drink sirop d'anis mixed with fizzy water if I am on a non alcohol day.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

It's funny how some things appeal and others don't.  I just cannot stand any of these aniseed drinks at all, fennel has the same effect on me too.  Even the smell is enough to [+o(]

Still, it wouldn't do if we all liked the same things would it? How boring would that be !

[/quote]

couldn't bear to drink pastis but I do love marmite!

"chaqu'un a son gout "

- rough translation: "everyone has gout"

Archived