Complete France Forum

apple jam

susie

Not apple jam but I make apple jelly which is great with lamb/pork/beef/cheese/on its own

Get lots of apples, cut out grotty bits and core/chop them.  Tip - put the chopped apples in a big bowl of water to prevent discolouration

boil them up with a little water them when all soft and mushy, give them a good seeing to with a potato masher of similar.

Strain the result through a cheesecloth or mulin, can take several hours and may need to do several batches if you have lots.

For each litre of juice, boil up with 1Kg sugar and juice of 1 lemon (more if liked) and get to setting point (jam thermometer is a good investment)

Put into sterilised jars as normal, you can add a sprig or 2 of your favourite herbs (I like mint or rosemary)

Enjoy!

For a variation you can add rhubarb as well as the apple or my favourite is rosehips

I have also tried getting the apple juice putting the raw apples in a juice extractor.  This worked as far as the jelly was concerned and the taste was the same but just not so clear to look at.  It was still yummy and gave better yields than boiling.  Maybe this is not an issue for you if you have an orchard full of apples!!

I too make apple jelly- the same recipe as above but at 1 pound sugar to one pint juice- but usually make several different variations.

If you add balsamic, cider or wine vinegar, about 1 pint for every 4 pounds of apples, along with lots of finley chopped mint while the apples are cooking you get a great mint jelly. Add more mint leaves to the strained juice before boiling with the sugar.

Or a couple of oranges, peel finley, chop the flesh and cook with the apples. Cook the thinley sliced rind seperatly in a little water until soft and add this to the strained juice before the sugar is added. If you add chopped fresh ginger to the raw apples and sliced stem ginger to the strained juice you get a very tasty orange and ginger flavour. Make sure the rind is very soft before adding the sugar otherwise it will be very hard and chewy.

Or try lemon and cinnamon............................. Or sage instead of mint for a savoury jelly with pork.

If you have blackberrys growing wild near you apple and blackberry jelly is wonderfull, as is apple and elderberry, which has an almost smokey flavour.

The possibilities are endless.....

Ooops I realise I was too heavy handed with the sugar.  Should be 800grams to the litre of juice which makes it more or less a pound to a pint I think but I can't do Imperial measurements anymore.

I like the idea of using vinegar, I'll try that.  So it will be 500ml to 2 Kg apples?

Archived