Complete France Forum

Jerusalem artichokes

Cat

I've been given a huge bag of Jerusalem artichokes (topinambour) by my neighbour.  I plan to plant a few of the smaller ones in the veg patch, as Mr Cat loves them.

As for the rest, I've found quite a few recipes online, but would love to hear your favourite recipes for them, as I've never used them before.

PS, I've already been warned about the gale-force farty after-effects [+o(]

We just roast our in the same way as parsnips .... Or make a carrot onion garlic celery stock , whisk down to a liquid , roast and finley chop the JAs with some spinarch cook inthe stock do a gentle whisk so its still chunky and makes a loverly soup ... 

also roast in the skins with Rosemary and garlic squeeze the soft flesh out of the JAs and the garlic fork together and spread cold on toast like a pate ....with a little olive oil drizzle ... 

PS you can freeze the soup in old water bottles for another day

• 3 weeks later...

...please forgive me if this posting does not look "quite right", I am a complete noob to the forum (and am not yet au fait with the layout!).[:$]

I love JAs, as Tony F says, they do spread and are hard to remove from a plot once established.  They are also fairly tall, so perhaps plant them as a "wind break".  Whilst on that subject, Winter Savoury (Satureja montana) is said to be a great remedy and may be included in bean and JA recipes both for flavour and to save one's blushes...[:D]

...thank you very much Dog - very kind![:)]  What do you ride (if it's not too much off topic to ask)?  As far as the secret to Le Petomane's success goes... I imagine it hinged to a fairly high degree on being able to get the right sort of appreciative audience [+o(][:D]  Are you also a bit yogic by the way..?

[quote user="buelligan"]...thank you very much Dog - very kind![:)]  What do you ride (if it's not too much off topic to ask)?  As far as the secret to Le Petomane's success goes... I imagine it hinged to a fairly high degree on being able to get the right sort of appreciative audience [+o(][:D]  Are you also a bit yogic by the way..?[/quote]

I enjoy Jeruslaem artichokes, Indian kites and motorcycles plus many other things including Hatha yoga.

I have a large plate of JAs before throwing my leg over my Darmah, Valkyrie or my French reg UJM a Kawasaki 1200 thing we have some dirt bikes too.

I do like the look of the new Buells especially with the european engine - such a different motorcycle with flair and inventiveness.

Seems Petomaines talent came from his lower bowl control and its reversible nature.

[quote user="Cat"]

PS, I've already been warned about the gale-force farty after-effects [+o(]

[/quote]

I wish I had read your post before lunch today when  I had ( a lot of ) them for the first time....

Danny

(he's on the sofa tonight! - Jane)

...mmm...I've always liked dukes - always had a bit of a thing for vtwins.  Practiced Vini yoga for a fair old while but, since moving here (and away from my teacher), I'm afraid I have gradually let my practice slip.  I am now inspired to go and find some JA's to plant and to return to my practice [:D].  Have a lovely day!  It looks absolutely perfect here..![:D]

NB Please note I am trying to respond to Dog's earlier posting.  Unfortunately, as a noob, I have not yet got to grips with the "quote" facility!  [:$]

[quote user="buelligan"]

...mmm...I've always liked dukes - always had a bit of a thing for vtwins.  Practiced Vini yoga for a fair old while but, since moving here (and away from my teacher), I'm afraid I have gradually let my practice slip.  I am now inspired to go and find some JA's to plant and to return to my practice [:D].  Have a lovely day!  It looks absolutely perfect here..![:D]

NB Please note I am trying to respond to Dog's earlier posting.  Unfortunately, as a noob, I have not yet got to grips with the "quote" facility!  [:$]

[/quote]

Dukes are strictly speaking L Twins. But two cylinders make lovely thumps.

Yesterday we found lots of wild onions. Shall have some tonight with the JAs.

The quote button isn't too difficult - just press Quote! Even I can managage it.

Where are you in France?

...after I'd mentioned the vtwin thing I did wonder whether it would give offence [:)] and was a little worried, glad to see you didn't mind too much![:D]  And..thanks for the tip on quoting...I've only ever belonged to one other forum and was used to their system, so I didn't notice the "quote" option right next to the "reply" button - how very unobservant!.  What kind of wild onions did you find?  Where do you live?  I live in the Languedoc, where it is currently raining softly, don't mind too much as it's all good for the garden...[:)]

Not sure what sort of wild onions they were but they tasted good. There is also wild garlic about.

I reside in the woods 15k from Perigueux in 24, Dordognshire.

Which Buell have you got?

Sunny + light breeze here.

On sunday I found deep in some woods near a disused railroad tunnel the front panel of an Ami it was stuck beteen the twin trunks of a tree the headlights were missing but the chrome grill was still in good condition - I must visit the local cheese monger he has an Ami - someone must be looking for this part.

...I have a 1200Firebolt.  I wonder what an Ami was doing in the woods?  Anyway, looks like the cheese mongers really will be "blessed" in this instance..[:D]  I am quite keen on wild garlic (Ramsons).  Haven't found it growing here (I suspect it is too warm and dry).  Might look for them in the Montagne Noir (not too far away), the climate is much more northern european there.   Have you been into the railway tunnel?  When I was in my teens I used to look for these on maps, then go (if they were near enough) and walk through.  Really used to enjoy it...[:)] 

Sadly could not enter the tunnel to see if any JAs were being stored in there.

There was an old signalmans cottage and he had annexed the old track and was keeping a van in the tunnel entrance.

Near where I lived in UK we had twin tunnels a quarter of a mile long and curved so it was good and dark in the middle.

A friend in UK is an explorer of tunnels and underground buildings left over from various military and government use.

Before I left UK he had discovered an old underground hidey hole in case of invasion in WW2 from an old military map he has found. As he was leaving on the nearby busy road he noticed a small part of a blue metal drum in the overgrown hedge. He knew what it was and contacted the police immediately.

They wouldn't believe him at first - both sides of the road had drums of explosives secreted in earth within the hedges. It was amazing that none had been hit by traffic accidents in the last 65 years.

[quote user="Dog"]

Sadly could not enter the tunnel to see if any JAs were being stored in there.

There was an old signalmans cottage and he had annexed the old track and was keeping a van in the tunnel entrance.

Near where I lived in UK we had twin tunnels a quarter of a mile long and curved so it was good and dark in the middle.

A friend in UK is an explorer of tunnels and underground buildings left over from various military and government use.

Before I left UK he had discovered an old underground hidey hole in case of invasion in WW2 from an old military map he has found. As he was leaving on the nearby busy road he noticed a small part of a blue metal drum in the overgrown hedge. He knew what it was and contacted the police immediately.

They wouldn't believe him at first - both sides of the road had drums of explosives secreted in earth within the hedges. It was amazing that none had been hit by traffic accidents in the last 65 years.

[/quote]

Are you a member of the famous five, or the secret seven,?

"...No I am a member of no club or association - what goes on in the Famous Five and Secret Seven?  I do so hope it's not Masonic..." ...said Dog rather firmly.  "Absolutely not old chum!" they all laughed.  "Thanks for sharing that tale about your jolly friend!  Sounds just the sort of scrape I like to get into.." said Buelligan, "...now let's hurry back to Auntie's for a slap-up supper and lashings of ginger beer.  I think she'll be very pleased with the lovely JAs we managed to collect...[:D]

Archived