Complete France Forum

ALCOHOL FREE WINE

I know this seems like a very silly question but is there such a thing in France as an Alcohol free wine/beer.  My OH is on a cocktail of drugs for various reasons and alcoholic drinks have an adverse effect.  I just wondered if, when we are sociallising, there is a wine/beer which we can buy which makes him feel as though he is joining in the party. Lets face it orange juice looks a bit naff and anyway he is diabetic so he shouldnt drink too much of that either!  

You will find "Sans Alcohol" beers in most supermarkets. There are also lots of strange coloured cocktail drinks called "Mr Cocktail". Mind you, with the cocktail ones I dread to think what kind of strange additives are used for the colouring [blink]. I don't use much alcohol and if I am out I find Perrier water best. With a slice of lemon, lovely and looks like a gin and tonic [:-))]. Anyway, who cares if it's not alcohol, I thought that was only for 16 year olds !!

Apart from 2 occasions (couple of glasses of wine each of those times), I've not had alcohol for well over a month now.

I like l'eau petillante, so not really a problem.  If I want to kid myself that I'm having a pastis (like today when it's been both hot and sunny), I have sirop d'anis which even comes in the milky colour like the genuine article.

Unlike in the UK, I find it's actually a lot easier to not have alcohol in France when you don't want it.  In French homes, I've only got to say that I'm driving and that I don't want to get into trouble with the police and that always raises a laugh but also gets taken seriously.

It's more of a protest when there are Brits about but I just insist that I'm off alcohol and, in these cash strapped times, I suspect that people are quite relieved that I shall be a "cheap" guest.

Of course, in my own home, my wishes reign supreme and I just don't pour myself anything alcoholic, guests or no guests.

At the moment I am also on a alcohol (and caffeine) free regime for medical purposes for a few weeks. Back here in the UK I can get Erdinger Weissbier alkoholfrei easily in Tesco. All the major German wheatbeer brewers, Paulaner, Franzikaner and Erdinger produce an alcohol free versions which I believe are widely available in Europe (eg available in Malta last year). While not quite the real thing I find them fairly acceptable (even as a long-standing member of CAMRA and Les Amis de la Biere), See review below (in French)

Brian (again)

http://beijo.canalblog.com/archives/2008/07/10/9866565.html

Archived