Complete France Forum

Kiwi Jam

Dog

Kiwis are cheap at the moment so bought some and made jam.

I made it simply with 20 kiwis topped and tailed then peeled.

I chopped up the skin in the liquidizer (good roughage and lots of nutrients under the skin).

Chopped up the kiwis added a cup and a half of demerra sugar and a big squirt of lemon juice - boilied the lot up for 40 mins - let cool and put in jars.

Fantastic fruity zingy jam.

Give it a go!

I have since found recipes that use other additions but the one I made is simple and very tasty.

Neighbour just arrived with a bucket of cherries - so now cherry jam.

Mmmm Kiwi Jam - great idea!  I shall make some this week.  I have a feeling that kiwis would also make a superb pickle, maybe with some sweet onion, nigella seeds etc. 

Do you have a cherry pitter Dog?  I wished for one a couple of weeks ago and promptly found a lovely old one for 2 euro in a local vide grenier.  I was delighted and now cannot get enough cherries to satisfy my pitting urge![:D]

I made some a while ago but I couldn't get it to set no matter how long I boiled it.  I was told after that it needs a lot of pectin as Kiwi fruit have a lot of an enzyme that prevents setting, just like pineapples apparantly.  Still, it was a great sauce to put over ice cream [:P]

[quote user="buelligan"]

Mmmm Kiwi Jam - great idea!  I shall make some this week.  I have a feeling that kiwis would also make a superb pickle, maybe with some sweet onion, nigella seeds etc. 

Do you have a cherry pitter Dog?  I wished for one a couple of weeks ago and promptly found a lovely old one for 2 euro in a local vide grenier.  I was delighted and now cannot get enough cherries to satisfy my pitting urge![:D]

[/quote]

I have two built in cherry pitters - I call them thumbs!

My cherry jam I made yesterday is a bit runny but tastes great.

Glad you found something useful in a VG - I only find something in every 5 or so.

Have you been out buelling? I had a 3,000k trip to Italy on the UJM.

PS Sun dried tomatoes were a success and with toms so cplentiful at the moment a no brainer not too. Gotta find something to do with bette - had some fantastic broadbean pate - and I hate broad beans!

Sadly, no buelling for me in the foreseeable [:(], the twin constraints; endless diy and other house-type jobs (my home is rather lacking in comfort at the moment) and my consequent impoverished and exhausted state have rendered that little joy out of bounds to me.  The poor little beast has been left languishing (along with another vtwin), waiting for better times...[:(] I do envy your trip to Italy!  Where did you go?  BTW, is it permitted here to discuss riding on a thread about jam?[:D]

I was invited to Cervia in Italy for a kite festival to demonstate flying Indian fighting kites.

I stopped in Mondane there and back by the Frejus Tunnel in a guest house behind the railway station they served home made gooseberry jam and plum jam for breakfast on my return visit I got a better breakfast with fresh croissants.

Those bloomin mountains were chilly.

Archived