Complete France Forum

Raisins, sultanas, currants.....

confused of chalus

It's a bit late, but I thought I'd make mincemeat for the first time since we moved to France. The recipe calls for currants, sultanas and raisins ( among other things). The problem is, I can only find raisins in the Intermarche. But all sorts of different raisins .... Anyone out there know what I should be searching for to get an approximately comparable mix of different vine fruits?

If I get it right the mince pies are on me! But you'll have to come and introduce yourselves!

You should have no problem finding raisins de Corinthe (raisins) and raisins sultanines, also called raisins de Smyrne (sultanas) in a large supermarket.

Currants might be a different matter...

Cranberries, chopped dates, chopped apricots or chopped prunes maybe...?

You should have no problem finding raisins de Corinthe (raisins) and raisins sultanines, also called raisins de Smyrne (sultanas) in a large supermarket.

Currants might be a different matter...

Clair - surely "raisins de Corinthe" are currants ......  available but not so easy to find here in Brittany but plenty of raisins secs and raisins de Smyrne in supermarkets.

Bernice

Thanks everyone - that's just the information I needed. I think there's a grandfrais at Perigeux, so I'll have a look if I can persuade the OM that he aboslutely needs another trip to bricodepot! (it's about an hour away). There's a stall with the more interesting ingredients, like candied peel and cherries etc at our weekly market.  Number one Son has just asked me send him a  Christmas pudding to Hong Kong so I'd better get on with it all.

Archived