Complete France Forum

pastry

Patf

Today I had some cold chicken and some gravy and wanted to make a pastie, but had no fat for the pastry. Or margarine.

So I thought of trying it with oil and found this recipe:

250g flour

1tsp salt   

60 mls olive oil      

125ml water

Just mix the liquids and add to the flour with a fork. Very easy. I rolled it out between two pieces of clingfilm. Glazed the top of the pastie with egg. Bake in a hot oven.

It turned out really well, crisp and tasty. Will definitely do it again. Less messy too.

Will definitely be trying it, Pat.

I often use Teamed-Up's pastry (remember her?) with mascarpone cheese.

6 oz flour, 3 oz butter and half a tub of 250G mascarpone cheese.  Works out very time.  Best of all is that it's easy to roll out to fit a large fluted flan tin.

Do you rest your oil pastry in the fridge before rolling out?

MUST be better to use olive oil than butter and mascarpone from the point of view of cholesterol, I suppose.

SW17 - no I didn't let the pastry rest, just rolled it straight away.

Those other recipes are amazing, and nothing could be worse than my usual leathery offering anyway . And that includes my version of TU's mascarpone pastry. I'm definitely going to continue the new method.

By the way, the pastry smelled quite strongly of olive oil when raw, but lost the smell when baked.

I don't know, SW17. I was wondering about that myself.  I'll try it with a little bit of sugar and see what it's like.

After all, margarine isn't much more than emulsified oil and water.

I also tried some walnut oil instead of butter/marg in mashed potatoes and it was delicious.

Linking to one of your other threads - I had margarine and butter on my shopping list on Monday and completely forgot them. We live 15k from shops, so I have to make do until Friday.

Archived