Complete France Forum

Local hooch

becmag

Hi all

I am looking for somewhere in the Calais area where I can buy some local hooch or 'eau de vie' as I think they call it.

Not really a distillary, but somewhere where they do it more as a hobby?

It would be great if anyone had any good ideas,

cheers

Rebecca

Eric - we had some friends who made Calvados and the situation was that when the present license holder dies it cannot be passed on.

However where they lived at least, in practice all it meant was that those without a license had to get up earlier and get to the visiting still before the gendarme [;-)]

That was my point [;-)]

Years ago whilst on business inn Britanny, I visited unannounced an old friend of ours in the Loudeac countyside. As I drove into his small farm yard, I caught him and his moonshine man loading barrels full of old cider into the van. As it was "only me", the operation continued and after a few hectolitres had changed hands, we all had dinner with more cider and calvados. I left late that night hoping that I would not come across any local constabulary on my way back to the hotel. Worse was the moonshine man who drove his heavily loaded van back to Lamballe a small hour drive away. I understand that he made it ok as we were served with ample supplies of "goutte" years after.[Www]

Look in the yellow pages for a Distillator - we have one nearby he has a machine that looks like an early steam engine that he will distil any fruit you take to him.

He is a bit of a character a Pole with a face like a relief map of the moon and a big belly - his house has fallen down and he lives under a tarpulin - but he seems to enjoy his work and  produce - probably too much.

Archived