Complete France Forum

Green Tomato Chutney

Gardian

Just made a batch this afternoon: weather gone off, they were never going to ripen.

Gary Rhodes recipe - tastes pretty good (i.e. like the dog's gonads).

Have informed sons that there may be no further need for 'pickle-smuggling' through the authorities. 

Recipe available if anybody's interested.

Ingredients

• 2.25 kg green tomatoes, cut in to end-of-thumb size chunks. No need to skin or de-seed.
  • 600 ml malt vinegar (but I used red wine vinegar, because that's what I had)
  • 5 large onions, finely chopped (I just used one onion for a one third recipe)
  • 225 gm raisins
  • 450 gm sultanas (I only used sultanas, but to the combined weight)
  • 350 gm demerara sugar
  • 25 gm salt
  • 4 tspns mixed spice (I used mild curry powder)
  • 4 tspns ground cinnamon
  • 2 tspns ground ginger

Put the toms and vinegar in to a large pan and gently simmer for 30 mins. Add the onions, raisins and sultanas and continue to cook for a further 30 mins. Add the sugar, salt & spices and simmer for 1.5 - 2 hrs until thick, stirring occasionally (cooked mine for 1hr 45 mins and it was just right). Leave to cool a bit and spoon in to warm sterile jars.

I just made one third of the above quantity and it worked fine, giving nearly four 300gm jars. That's plenty, because it won't keep for ever (though longer if kept in the fridge). Tried it last night with some bread and mature cheddar and it was excellent - much better than I expected.

SW17 .........

I wouldn't have thought so at all. Frankly, just about anything that you cook for nearly three hours in a sort-of sugary gunk, is going to taste much the same in the end.

My view is try it: if it's *****, then bin it & it's cost you virtually nothing. I reckon it'll be OK though.

• 2 weeks later...

Gardian, the chutney is superb and to think I'd always avoided doing anything like this, wrongly thinking that it would be a lorra lorra work!

It's so worthwhile as all our green toms got used as did all the little green peppers (our peppers never seem to grow properly and, in previous years, had been left to rot on their stems).

Then, all the jam and marmalade jars I save got used and we LOVE the chutney.

I changed the recipe slightly, using grated root ginger instead of ground and I boiled it up with 2 cinnamon sticks instead of the ground.

So, has anyone any more ideas for using other garden produce for making chutney?[:D]

S, if your post is a request for a recipe from me I'm afraid that you are out of luck as I have filed it somewhere safe. You have a couple of options

1. search on google for a recipe for courgette chutney (I don't like apples in my chutney so just leave them out)

2. use a recipe for something else chutney that you like and works for you and substitute courgettes for something else.

Sometime soon I will try and make chutney with frozen courgettes provided I can find some way to get rid of all the moisture. Got a spare mangle anyone ?

TTFN

John

• 4 weeks later...
It was my Mum's and I no longer have  but it was the essential basic cookbook from memory  I checked delia's web site and could not find but this one looks similar  http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/english/smoky-tomato-chutney.html

4 oz (110 g) sun-blush (or mi-cuit) tomatoes
 2 lb 8 oz (1.15 kg) red, ripe tomatoes
 1 tablespoon hot pimentón
 1 tablespoon sweet, mild pimentón
 1 dessertspoon coriander seeds
 1 dessertspoon mustard seeds
 2 fat cloves garlic, peeled
 2 large onions, peeled and quartered
 4 oz (110 g) light muscovado sugar
 ½ pint (275 ml) good-quality red wine vinegar
 1 heaped teaspoon salt

Archived