Complete France Forum

Why hasn't anyone mentioned this before?

Clair

I had to wait until today to discover how absolutely delicious avocado ice-cream is [:'(].

I feel I have been missing out for years [:(].

Why hasn't anyone said anything before? [8-)]

The ice-cream maker is churning as I type and I have (just) finished licking cleaning the blender. I can hardly wait for dinner![:-))]

The recipe, so that nobody else has to miss out:

• 3 or 4 avocados (Hass avocados have a pebbly skin and are dark green to black when ripe)
  • 150g sugar
  • zest and juice from 1 lime
  • zest and juice of 1 lemon
  • 240g plain thick yoghurt
  • 125ml whipping cream (liquid cream)

Put everything in a blender and blend until very smooth and the sugar has melted.

Churn in an ice-cream maker and freeze.

(if you don't have one, pour into a couple of shallow dishes, cover and freeze for 4-6 hours, beating with a fork every 2 hours or so to break the ice crystals).

Remove from the freezer 15 mn before serving.

I am guessing it should read... melt the sugar and then put the lot in a blender....

It sounds great when the sun stays more than a few minutes...

I was wondering if this might be good:  salt and pepper during the blending stage, some olive oil added during the freezing stage .. and some reduced balsamic sauce when serving...   and also, some diced avocado during the freezing bit too.

[quote user="osie"]I am guessing it should read... melt the sugar and then put the lot in a blender.... [/quote]

No need to melt the sugar beforehand. It melts in the avocado mixture when being blended.

The idea is to obtain a creamy (not granular) mix before freezing.

[quote user="NormanH"]And not at all fattening [:D][/quote]

You're right, it's not [:)]

This recipe uses yoghurt and a small amount of cream rather than cream only, or cream +sour cream, as I have seen on other recipes.

I used drained fromage blanc (actually, it looked more like Philadephia as it had been draining for a couple of days), which was what I had in the fridge.

As for avocado, it is actually very health-friendly, despite its image as a fatty food.

I've just had a scoop and it is very, very yummy!

Archived