Complete France Forum

Posting cheese to Sweden?

Ian

My son, who lives in Sweden, likes the smoked Camembert which I make, and has asked me to post him some.

The first question is, is posting food to Sweden allowed?

If so, what's the best way? He says that the batch he flew home with after Xmas, even though double-wrapped in plastic bags, was still "sniffable", and he thinks this could cause a problem with a postal parcel.

I could ask my friendly butcher to vacuum pack it, I guess, but I'm not sure that the wooden boxes would stand up to that treatment.

Any ideas?

Cheers

No idea about the legalities, but since you produce it yourself, any loss to the Swedish Cheese Police would presumably be irrelevant?

I'd send it one of those Coli boxes that you can buy at the Post Office. They're pretty robust and come a variety of sizes.

I've sent a camera that got left behind back to the UK - no problems.

Sorry I can't bring any light to shine on your cheese-posting query, Frank, but I am intrigued by your smoked camembert, so have started a separate thread to solicit some home-smoking recipes.

Angela

PS I should have thought vacuum packing could be your solution for the post. When they do meat, it's still a squidgy packet, so the process might not damage the boxes.

Thanks, all.

@Gardian, I don't want it confiscated by the Swedish Cheese Police - if they're likely to do that, I'll have to find some way of smuggling it in.

@ Loiseau, vac packing, while odoriferously ideal, means asking le boucher for a favour - I'd prefer not to.

@russethouse - a good idea, but I think pierre ZFP's is better, just in case they do X-ray it. Besides, the seal of a tupperware box is yet another defence.

I'm going to ask my son to find out, definitively, if smoked cheese is a permitted import. It's the least he can do.

Cheers