Complete France Forum

Lamb

Gardian

Its that time of the year when we quite enjoy popping out on a Sunday morning and visiting one or two of the local Marche de Noel. They're often a bit like a Winter Fete Votive and good for picking up the odd 'unique' Christmas gift.

We were at one this morning, the weather was glorious and everybody in good cheer. One stall outside the main door seemed to be doing a roaring trade - "Order your lamb now for Noel." "A whole or half a lamb - collect or can be despatched to anywhere in a special Colis".

There were just two parties however which seemed to be slightly less than enthusiastic over the stall's apparent success.

A yew and it's lamb in a nice little pen alongside the trestle table!

And what's for dinner tonight in the Gardian home? Oh err, lamb ......... but bought on Friday.

If anyone's got a nice bit of Yew going spare, I would travel a long way to come and take it off your hands.  I'm in to making longbows and after trying my hand on various woods (it's more difficult than you might think) I'd love to have a go with the real stuff!

ooops, topic drift, sorry, to get back on track....

Mmmm lamb and mint sauce, Yum [:P]

I have some beautiful yew Pierre, but it would have to be a very short long bow [8-)]

[URL=http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Jonzjob/media/Janbowl1.jpg.html][IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Janbowl1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

If anyone tried chewing on it then it would be extreamly dangerous 'cause I would whack 'em one VERY 'ard. They would definitely have a bowl movement [:-))]

Back on track. We get our lamb delivered by the farmer who grows it up in the Montagne Noire just NE of us. We don't wait for Christmas, we get it 1/2 lamb at a time several times a year!![8-|] Cut as we want it and it's lovely stuff!!

Not all of the yew is poisonous. The flesh of the berries is edible but the small seeds ain't. There's a thread running on a woodwork forum at the mo about just that and several of the blokes on there eat them. Must be bleedin mad in my book!

With the complete bit you may have been able to split a bit out for a mini cross bow. Much more powerful than an old fashioned longbow used by that farming family on the radio [:-))][8-)]

Mint, it's always amaized me just what hides in logs. as I have said before, when you are turning a lump of log you can see the shape develop and the wood dictates that most of the time. You can see the general colour but it's not till you stop it spinning that you can really see what you have and it's different every time.

I am always very careful about the value of wood too 'cause, just like money, it doesn't grow on trees you know [Www]

Archived