Complete France Forum

PUBLIC RIGHT OF WAY

Deborah

We are looking to buy a property in France but the one which we are keen on has a public right of way going through the land and then this track is within 1 meter of the house. Does any one know if there is a way of changing/object to this as I was advised by the vendor that the hunters use this track with their vans etc,

[quote user="Deborah"]We are looking to buy a property in France but the one which we are keen on has a public right of way going through the land and then this track is within 1 meter of the house. Does any one know if there is a way of changing/object to this as I was advised by the vendor that the hunters use this track with their vans etc,[/quote]

Rights of way, whether in France or the UK, rapidly become emotive issues with the local population ... ie your neighbours and other locals. Even if there were a legal way of diverting the path, or preventing its use other than as a walking route, and you were able (eventually, tortuously and at great expense) to get your hoped-for change recognised legally, the real problem would be how to enforce the change? I am afraid that you need to stand back and make a cold hard decision: how do you want to spend the next 20 years of your life? In constant battle with local inhabitants? Don't underestimate the legal complications and costs (both monetary and on your health) of such an undertaking. If you think that you will not be able to live happily with the path being used, then walk away, now, before you invest too much emotion in the property. There are LOTS of nice properties which don't have this drawback.

Regards

Pickles

Deborah, in theory it is possible to change the line of a right of way in France if all parties (landowners, users of the track & the local authorities) are in agreement, but in practice it takes a long time to do so, and some diehards may still insist on using the old route.

Only you can decide how much the use of the track by third parties would upset your enjoyment of the property, we can't tell you here.

However, for what it's worth (not much!) I wouldn't like a right of way used by hunters within 1 metre of my house.

pm me if you wish for more detailed info

[quote user="Deborah"]thank you for all your replies and information I think that we have no choice other than to look for something else, but it has been a long hard slog to find something which ticks some of the boxes[/quote]

Deborah,  I wouldn't touch the property with a barge pole because if you have reservations now wait till you are paying your taxes Etc. and find out you are even more  unhappy with the situation. Walk away, how ever many fabulous properties you loose in France for whatever reason, there is always a better one round the corner. [:)]

[quote user="Deborah"]thank you for all your replies and information I think that we have no choice other than to look for something else, but it has been a long hard slog to find something which ticks some of the boxes[/quote]

Deb, you must be darned desperate to even consider for more than 1 second a house where the great unwashed would be so close. Good luck in your hunt.

John

Archived