Complete France Forum

recipe please for a cake with fresh figs

mint

[quote user="Patf"]I googled cake aux figues and came up with this:

http://www.cuisineactuelle.fr/recettes/cake-aux-figues-202535

I think the Rustica magazine is giving fig recipes in their next edition.

Personally I don't enjoy figs, too sweet for me, and no other flavour, but I know most people like them, and they're good for you.

[/quote]

Pat, I have made another of your fig cakes and it's smelling divine in the oven so I am hopping about a bit from computer to oven.  The fan in my oven seems pretty fierce and I usually have to both turn it down 5° or so and take things out 5 to 10 minutes before time.

I see that these posts date back to 2016 so that makes sense as last year I never once felt like doing any baking.  This year, I have tried out a lot of the recipes from various posts on the forum so that means lots of goodies to eat and savour and share with friends and neighbours[:)]

Cake bakers rule, OK?

• 2 weeks later...
Hello everyone. Long time no speak ..... Hoping you are all in great health.

Fig Jam ? You have to be careful though as they need to cook very well in order to stop them "gasing off" even when cooked. A lady advertises "Confiture de Figues - Cuite 2 fois" on the market in Najac 12.

Eric, I am super happy to see you back here[:D]  Comment tu vas?

I don't make the jam but I do a compote with some sweet spices.  Fill jars of them and put them in the freezer for the winter months.  Nice with ice cream or yoghurt or porridge or muesli.

The tree is so laden with figs that, when you walk past, you could get drunk smelling the fermentation fumes! Lots of them are now on the ground and you have to wear your garden shoes and dig out all the sticky fig remains with a stick and wash the shoes in hot water to rid the soles of sticky gunge.

How I have loved walking round the garden again, eating figs, eating the ripe fruit from the passiflora and admiring the autumn crocuses.  I try not to look at the overgrown hedges or indeed the weeds and certainly not the out of control "lawns"!

Archived