Complete France Forum

Carved up on roundabouts

yello

I've had more incidents of this in the last few days here in France than I would have encountered in months, maybe years, riding in the UK. Coming around a roundabout, traffic joining just sails blissfully on in front of me.

Is this the old 'priorité à droite' rule in practice? Or are bikes just fair game! [:D]

That said, the general consideration shown for bikes is way more here than in the UK. Just another reason I'm finding riding way more enjoyable here than in the UK (the south east especially).

When I first drove as opposed to rode in France there simply were not roundabouts. These days they are everywhere but you can be pretty sure if you enter in the left hand lane there is a good chance anything in the right hand lane will turn left and take the third exit - the only people who check locally ( Bordeaux) are bending bus drivers 

I too find that the French have an odd approach to roundabouts where there are 2 lanes in, aound and out.

As AR has noted, almost irrespective or where they propose exiting they tend to approach in the right lane, stay in it around the roundabout then either attempt to exit into the left hand lane or immediately switch from right to left.

There are some weird and wonderful gyroscopic inventions in Colchester this one being an absolute gem:

[IMG]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/biskitboyo/Roundabout1.jpg[/IMG]

closely followed up by this one:

[IMG]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/biskitboyo/Roundabout2.jpg[/IMG]

And these are the traffic signs for them.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2005/QBlog160705A.html

I think somebody was on the whacky baccky [blink]

Up to a few years ago, drivers entering a roundabout had priority over those already in the roundabout.

When inside the roundabout, the aim is to get to the desired exit and any shortcut is allowed.

That's how the great majority of current French drivers were taught.

This changed a few years ago (date?) and they are having to remember to look left before entering, which is already contrary to the normal run of things, as they usually look right according to the Priorité à droite...

Asking them to respect lane traffic on top of that, is akin to expecting them to stop for pedestrians waiting at a crossing![:P]

Drive defensively, expect the worse... but, as a biker, I guess you already do that anyway... [:)]

• 2 months later...
I feel exactly the same way - and I'm in a car!

The French know the rules but the schema just isn't there, for reasons already pointed out.

My method:

I see a gap, I dart for the inside lane and then hope that they pay heed to my right indicator when I want to exit: it's like that old video game Frogger (no pun intended).

The French method (around our way):

You pull out - zen like - onto the outside lane,  gradually picking up speed (to put other punters off), you then stay in the outside lane until your preferred exit appears.

I can only imagine how exciting it is on a bike! [:-))]

Archived