Complete France Forum

New legislation on mini-bikes and quads

Clair

That's interesting Clair. We have neighbours whos boys rides a quad bike in the lanes around where I live. Although these aren't 'main' roads we do get traffic go by and seeing him on this thing worries me to death. He's only about 8 years old. His brother, who's about 12 years old, rides on his own quad in front of him but there's never an adult with them. It's frightening.

Nice to see that the government is making an effort to control this, but I wonder how often (if ever) it will be enforced.  I remember that there was a real hoo-hah last year when a young girl was cautioned for riding a mini-bike without a helmet, on the pavement, and people seemed to think that the gendarmes were being unnecessarily harsh.

If the government has to legislate for this sort of thing, it's because parents will not take responsibility for their childrens' safety.  And in the event of an accident they will blame everyone but themselves.  There have already been stories to this effect.

Sure, quads and pocket bikes are fun, but they are a danger for children - particularly on a public road.  How can anyone imagine that an 8 year old has road sense, that he can possibly imagine what a car can or can't do????  Does it occur to an 8 year old to look behind him before pulling out????

How can any responsible parent risk their child's life in such a way?  I hope the gendarmerie remind the seemingly uncaring public that it could be their child they are scraping off the road......

Whoops, that hobby horse is in danger of getting out of control, but something I feel very strongly about (it's that former life coming back......)

Archived