Complete France Forum

French Power Limit..

Thebiga

I have read somewhere in the past that the french have a power limit on motorcycles.

Is this correct and if it is how do they go about doing that with so many different models etc. Is the power checked when the bike goes in for its Controle Technique.

What if you buy a bike in the uk and bring it over where does it stand then on power etc. I am looking at having a bike here as I've had them in the uk and wondered about all this I've read. You look at some adverts for bikes here and it says full power!!

Cheers

First of all there is no CT for bikes at the moment.

You will find that French market models of all bikes are below the power limit. If you want to import your bike and have a European certificate of conformity from the UK, you may get away with a bike over 100 bhp. If you need to get a C of C from the French importer of that particular bike and it is over the limit then they will insist that it is restricted before they issue a C of C. You will need the C of C to register the bike here.

I believe that there can be huge fines for operating a bike that is full power and over the limit, but I think that it may be a gray area when the bike has been imported.

We changed our bikes, (mine was 130 bhp and my wifes 165) before we came here and bought a pair of 99 bhp bikes.

We have now decided to sell them as the wife wants something different again!

Archived