Complete France Forum

planning permission

Guest CFrost

Hi everyone

I am sure you have probably been asked this before, but I cannot find any threads on the forum apart from one whereby the planning requests are for size of conversion.  My question is do we need planning permission for all conversion works for a small gite business (covering all internal specifications etc) or just the certificate of urbanisation?  I have been trawling through the forum and other sites, but no answers as yet. We are planning on doing all the work ourselves and have drawn up detailed plans, would these be acceptable for presentation or will we need to employ an architect??   Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks in advance

phil

Your use of the word conversion is significant.

If you are converting to create habitable space , you will need a full Permis De Construire. If you were only renovating existing cottages with no external alterations then you would not need permission. Strictly speaking even if you convert more than 5 sq metres of loft space, with no external changes, into a bedroom you need full permission. However I think that half the properties in France probably have some internal alterations that haven't been declared !

If the total floor area of the project is more than 170sq metres, then you will need plans to be signed off by a French architect.

Any major building work that you do should be covered by a ten year guarantee. In practice it is virtually impossible for an individual to get the necessary insurance cover. This means that if you have to sell within 10 years you may have to give a discount to compensate for the absence of this cover.

Hi

Thanks for the advice, we are looking to renovate existing buildings with the usual barn conversion. I think rule of thumb, if in doubt, check it out should be the order of the day!

Thanks again

phil

• 6 years later...
Right, you're a long way from me!

Your first step must be to go to the Mairie and ask about the planning situation: you need to know if the barn is in a zone where new development (which includes barn conversions) is acceptable in terms of the current local plan.

It's not complicated, they will have a plan for you to look at and will explain the basic rules.

If the answer is 'yes' then you need to resubmit an application for planning permission and if the total floor area is over 170sqm (2 floors or + an extension) you'll need an architect.

Let us know if it's 'yes' before any of us go any further!

Go to the French Property News website

http://www.french-property-news.com

select business directory from the menu on the left

then search under Property – Architects and Surveyors, you can narrow the search down by choosing an area eg Pays de la Loire or Basse Normandie

How long does full planning permission last? can you 'start' work as in putting in a stand pipe and it then counts as commenced (as in UK) or take  down the old barn and leave site bare - does that count as work started (Permission was for removal of barn and rebuild of typical Perigord House in v historic village)

PB

Work should start within two years.

Work must not be interupted for more than 12 months.

Le commencement des travaux se caractérise par :

l'installation de palissades autour du chantier,

l'arrivée du matériel,

les premiers travaux de terrassement.

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/F1992.xhtml

Archived