Complete France Forum

Who controls a prelevement mensuel?

Gardener

When you authorise a prélèvement, you give the beneficiary access to your bank account.

You should be advised of the amount to be deducted in advance, and the bank pays as per your authorisation.

The bank may even attempt to pay even if the funds are not in your account. As long as the beneficiary makes the request which you have authorised, the bank will pay or attempt to pay.

If you want the prélèvement to stop, you must write to your bank by LRAC (registered mail with proof of receipt). Sample letter HERE.

Note that your bank may charge you for the cancellation. The fee should be shown on their tariff.

Thank you for that clear explanation.

So on that basis, having set a prélèvement mensuel up to pay for life assurance linked to a mortgage, which always has sufficient funds in it, if no money has left the account for months that it the fault of the company and not us or our bank?

It is likely to be the case but I suggest look into it, as the potential for a cancellation of the insurance ultimately affects your mortgage.

It could be caused by something as simple as a digit out of place somewhere...

The prélevements went fine for a number of months and then they stopped.

It says on the contract with the assurance company that if the payments are stopped by me, that they notify the mortgage company. I have heard nothing from either of them!

I think the contract has been cancelled by them and I doubt very much, if the unthinkable had have happened that they would have paid out,using the missing payments that they had not requested as their justification. So I'm not be too keen to contact them and be told that I have to make up this shortfall. Just wondering what to do next.If I can find out for certain that it has been cancelled, I can go elsewhere, I am just not sure I will get an honest answer from the company.

Archived