Complete France Forum

Help!

TWINKLE

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

I can't connect my digital camera to my PC - it's not recognising the camera.

Sorry -  if you think this should be in another section you can move me Gay.

[/quote]

Twinkle, I've long ago stopped connecting the camera to my PC. Get yourself a cheap Card Reader that plugs straight into a USB port and you won't believe the difference in speed to load etc.

I don't use a usb connection to plug into the camera - my PC has a built in multicard reader - but I don't know that Twinkle has one.

I reckon I must be some kind of freak - I always read manuals from beginning to end before I do anything with a new gadget - it's part of the fun, like foreplay!

I am probably the last person that should offer help on this [:-))], but I did have a similar problem the other day. My camera is an Olympus but I forgot to bring the CD with me to France and I called because I couldn't find the information on line. Anyway, they told me it wasn't necessary. Twinkle it may be worth you trying this because it worked for me.

In your start button go into My Computer, when you plug in your USB to the computer and the camera,  on mine at least on the camera screen shows a few options, I select PC and then on the computer screen Removable Disk (E:) will appear. Click this and then click the next folder that pops up and then it shows my the camera name folder. I click this and all of the photos download automatically.

It may not work with your camera but worth a try. I have been told that all of the new cameras can do this on the computer software.

Stop crying right now..................

Go to a big supermarket, computor section.

Ask for a card reader suitable for your camera memory.

Take it home and plug it into your PC. You can only plug it into a USB port it won't fit any other.

The computer will find the card reader and tell you when it is ok to use it.

Stick the memory card out of your camera into the card reader.

A screen will come up asking you what do you want to do with the pictures.

Click on save to my folders.

Follow instruction and they will all end up in your 'My Pictures'

Smile.............................................[:)]

Ok thanks - but I can't do this 'cos' as I asaid everything goes blank as soon as I plug into the computer. 
I like the sound of the card reader and I will buy one tomorrow.  The only thing is that I have already some photos that I don't want to lose on the internal memory of the camera.  Is there any way of saving these?

[quote user="TWINKLE"]Ok thanks - but I can't do this 'cos' as I asaid everything goes blank as soon as I plug into the computer. 
I like the sound of the card reader and I will buy one tomorrow.  The only thing is that I have already some photos that I

don't want to lose on the internal memory of the camera.  Is there any way of saving these?

[/quote]

They are saved on the camera memory card and will transfer when you use a card reader.

Some camera's have a small amount of built-in memory (ie,, not removeable). Photo's from this memory can usually be moved

within the camera onto the removeable memory card.

Thinking while I'm typing, my Fuji goes blank when plugged into the computer but is still connected. Plug it in, click on start,

then My computer, and look to see if you have an additional drive. It will be 'E' or 'F' usually. If this appears, you are

connected. Try it now and let me know what you find and I'll talk you through the next bit.

No!  It doesn't say anything!

I must have a configuration problem with my PC.  I am going to save the photos I've already taken on somebody elses computer and buy the card reader tomorrow.  I have already bought a memory card.

Thank you for your patience Bugbear. 

Mine is slowly wearing thin!  I only wanted to take some photos of me and my daughter to send to my mother via the net.  Oh I'll soon get the hang of it I suppose.

[quote user="TWINKLE"]Done that - nothing on My Computer.[/quote]

Have you got the original CD that came with the camera ? That will have all the software you need on it. If not try logging on to the manufacturer of your camera, find your model and then check what downloads are available, you should be able to download the software needed from their site.

Other than that its a bit of shopping tomorrow then..............................[:D]

One thing to remember, it's worth buying a multi card reader, then if you change you camera and it has a different memory card, you can still download with it,

If not, then you must get one. It means that you can carry multiple cards around with you, so that if you go away you can take large numbers of pictures and not need a laptop to empty the camera at regular intervals - you can just wait until you get home. Another advantage (at least with my Coolpix, probably with the D70) is that the battery runs down very quickly when the camera is connected to the computer. If you forget to disconnect - flat batteries! No such problem with the card reader.

I think I paid about £12 for my multi-card reader from Amazon, who also sell reliable (sic) memory at reasonable prices - rock-bottom price memory is a risk too far for me. It (the card reader) weighs almost nothing and is powered from the USB port, so is great to tote around with my laptop (this laptop!) when I go to France.

Having a spare card saved my bacon on my USA trip, I had left the card in the computer and took it out just before I left on my trip. Switched on the camera and horror - the card was corrupted ! Phoned home as I have the manual saved as a pdf on the computer (thanks Dick, you found it for me years ago !) but the corrupted card stopped me following in the instructions - luckily, in the depths of my handbag I had another card, once that was inserted I could navigate and sort out the corruption!

The moral of the story is, once you have down loaded your pics, take the card out and always carry a spare![:)]

Archived