Complete France Forum

Lucky camera

Cassis

Jude and I went for a walk in the forest on Friday and I took the camera.  As we came out onto the Ancinnes forest road I put my hand in my pocket to pull out the camera - sinking feeling inpit of stomach when I could not find camera. 

Now, I knew I had it when we passed through the village of St Rigomer des Bois but that was about half an hour or more behind us through the forest; as we had not been walking on paths for most of the way it would be impossible to retrace our exact steps.  Anyway, at Jude's insistence (I was ready to just give it up as hopeless) we went back in and walked up the path about 5 minutes to the point where we had joined the path, but found nothing.  We went home.

Next morning we put notices in the baker and mairie offering a reward for the return of the camera, but not really expecting anything to happen.  Jude  insisted we go to St Rigomer and try to retrace our steps from there.  I said there was pointless as firstly it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack and secondly it had been raining overnight and the camera would probably be ruined. 

Anyway, we drove over there and walked into the forest.  I remembered that the day before when about 50m in, I had gone off to the right to check a possible side track.  I went back in that general direction and stumbled about a clearing when suddenly, incredibly, there was the camera right in front of me, hanging from a branch on which the strap must have snagged the previous day.  The camera was damp and nothing happened when I turned it on but we went home, dried it out gently and recharged the batteries.  On trying it 2 hours later it came back to life and it is now working perfectly.

Lucky or what?  Jude, coincidentally, is named after the patron saint of lost causes.  [:)]

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]I've twice had to take pictures under the partitions in Baker Street Station Gent's, purely in the line of duty. I used a Rolleiflex, BTW, with Tri-X developed in D76 in case anyone is interested.[/quote]

Did you push it, or just let things develop in their own time? Was flash involved?

I always try to remember to leave one shot on my digital card giving a telephone number in case I mislay my camera and someone finding it would feel guilty enough to contact me for it's return, chances are they will just laugh harder when they see it,  But I have been lucky enough not to have lost any of them so far so dont know what the outcum would be. 

Hope this dont put the mockers on my luck   [geek]

Dave  

My husband borrowed my camera a couple of years ago to take some photos of building work at a friend's house so we could email them an update.  He didn't come back with it [:@].  We retraced his steps, went in the bar where he'd had a coffee, went to the Mairie, searched all over friend's house etc etc.  After giving up hope of seeing it again (and secretly hoping he'd have to replace it [;-)]) I found it two days later - in our wheely bin where he'd dumped a bag of rubbish and accidentally let go of the camera at the same time [blink]

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]

Photographer for London Transport (as was). Most of my work for Transport Police involved either dead bodies or naughty bits in the wrong place.

For other bits of the organisation I got involved in crashing trains, burning buses and pics of machining marks on the points of needles.

[/quote]Stepping off topic for a mo' Albert, have you seen the DVDs which are currently being released of old BT films - excellent  nostalgia stuff.  I am also trying desperately to remember the name of the LT PRO - Roger somebody?  - it's driving me mad!  Maybe you remember him?

Archived