Complete France Forum

crayon on photographs - removal ideas please

chocccie

Does anybody have a bright idea for getting crayon off an old photo?

I wanted to frame my grandmother's wedding photo, but one of us little angels had a fine old time with a purple crayon!

Does anybody know how I can get it off (or at least the worst of it)?  I could try alcohol, but I suspect that will spoil the print.

Thanks folks

Whatever you do, start by scanning or otherwise making the best copy you can.

Alcohol shouldn't harm it if it's a normal gelatine emulsion. When I were a lad the recognised way of getting negs & prints dry in a hurry was to soak then in meths and wave them around your head. We even used that technique during our college final practicals.

I'd guess that there will be a white border around the edge of the print so that gives you somewhere to experiment. I have a feeling that for crayon you'd be better off with white spirit, or even some VERY CAREFULLY APPLIED petrol -- for petrol do it in the open air.

Another approach you could try to get the worst off would be a very sharp blade held almost flat and used as a scraper. Only try this if the print is flat & smooth -- many old prints are cracked. If it's a glossy print this should take most of the surface crayon off but if it had a matt or velvet finish -- popular in those days -- then it probaly wont be a lot of help.

Archived