Complete France Forum

Anyone using a Nikon D300?

trees

From my o/h - who is well up in all this stuff!  He reckons that said Ken Rockwell does some of the most sensible and relevant reviews of all those who do this sort of thing, so respects he viewpoint:

"In principle, the D300 is 12.1 megapixel, compared with 10.1 on D200. D300 has a wonderful 3” screen, the best on any DSLR (shared with the Nikon D3). Better AF, better metering.  6 frames per second instead of 5. With the additional grip you can reach 8 fps – and use ordinary AA cells to do so.

Ken Rockwell, US-based photographer, includes the following early in his review of the D300 :

The D300 has better color, better highlights, better shadows, it's sharper because it fixes lens flaws, and its superior AF system and viewfinder free us to compose more freely than any previous camera. The D300 shares these innovations with its nearly identical $5,000 big brother, the D3. Compare their menus or read their users manuals and you'll see that they are the same on the inside! Owning both, I can confirm that they both operate in the same way and give the same look to their images. At ISO 200 with an exceptional lens, there isn't any visible difference I can see.

The D300's numerous internal tweaks and far more processing power have made huge strides forward in real image quality. These improvements are so significant than even a blind artist can see them. These may not be as immediately obvious to people less than fluent in creating images on a daily basis, since these innovations deal with subtle but crucial issues of color and value. Color and value are the critical foundations of every image, as every artist knows.

Read the whole review here : http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d300.htm

Also, multiple other D300 reviews at Nikonlinks.com" (Mr Cooperlola)

The other point, is that is has "Live View" - a thing which most non-SLR digital users have always had for around £100.  This enables you to see the image you are about to photograph.  In most circumstances, this is irrevant as few proper photographers use anything but the  viewfinder, but it can be a real plus when using a tripod/moving around etc.

Archived