Complete France Forum

Adobe Photoshp Elements - help needed with cropping

chocccie

I've cropped lots of my photographs using APE ... but when I went to do one yesterday, the crop sizer is automatically a square.... normally there is a bar on the toolbar to put in what size I want to crop to, but that's disappeared.  Can somebody tell me how to get it visable again please.

Many thanks

chocccie.  I'm working with CS2 so I have to guess a bit how Elements handles this but.....

As for the missing toolbar...

Go to "Window" >> and ensure Options is ticked.  If it has become unticked then that toolbar will disappear.

If that fixes the toolbar problem, make sure that you have none of the preset crops selected. The easiest way to do this is hit "Clear" at the righthand end of that toolbar.

Don't know if that will help or not but that would (should) fix it in CS2.

It varies slightly with different versions of Elements. But what I normally do in verson 5 (there are other ways) is:

Make sure you are in the full editing mode, rather then the organiser.

Use the rectangular marquee tool to identify the area of the picture you want to use.

Choose the 'Image' drop-down menu from the main toolbar.

Click on 'Crop'.

That's it.

You should also find a crop tool (a sort of rectangle with a diagonal line through it) on the main editing tool bar (the vertical one on the left of the screen) but I personally find the method above - more like the procedure in the full version of Photoshop - is more precise.

[quote user="Will"]

Use the rectangular marquee tool to identify the area of the picture you want to use.

Choose the 'Image' drop-down menu from the main toolbar.

Click on 'Crop'.

[/quote]

Thanks Will.  But what that does is crops it to the image I've selected.  what I need to do is crop it to  standard photo (therefore photo frame) size.  I've done this loads with the crop tool.  But what's disappeared is the bar below the toolbar in which I can specify what size I want to crop to.  then the crop frame automatically allows me to crop to that size, within the original picture. 

It's so annoying, as I've done it loads of times and I must have accidentally hidden the sizing option.  And now I can't find the sodding thing!  Grrrr!

Think I might have found it (I use the full version more often than Elements).

Locate the crop tool in the left hand side editing menu - click on it, and another tool bar appears along the top, with various options including width and height.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived