Complete France Forum

Beechwood circles

Gail Smith

I make cheeses which require pressing in a cheese press.  I use old confit de canard tins with the tops and bottoms cut out as moulds and I need some beech 'followers' made to go on the tops of the cheeses.  These are slightly smaller than the size of the tin and then the weight presses down on the follower and then presses the cheese. 

Where could I get some of these followers made for me?  I have no idea where to go to get one and I need it cheaply otherwise I might as well go to Auchan and buy cheddar...lol.

How much do you reckon it would cost to have some made up for me?

I am in Northern Dordogne so someone fairly local would be good.

If you know a man who can or the sort of artisan I need to make it then could you let me know?

Gail xx

Ooops Chris I am really embarassed now...  I read somewhere about beech followers and so thought I would ask.  I have just told hubby that I asked and he wants to know why I dont use plywood which he says will do the job just as well.

How do you cut a hole in a piece of plywood that will fit exactly?  Any advice?  I am not very good at cutting round corners..lol

Gail x

hi

ok , i might be talking a load of tommy rot here but have you had a look at  a small wine press ,they sell them in brico-pro here in 79 and range from about 10" dia to say 2` , prob totally up the wrong tree but!!!

dave

ps if you are local I could soon band saw a bit of ply ect for you

I made some (for making cheese) out of wood sold for floorboards. Draw around the tin (actually I used lengths of plastic soil pipe - unused) and then use a jigsaw to cut inside the line (just) and you should be OK. I then used a special Cooking Brick (also used in making confit de canard) to apply pressure.

The cheese was terrible.

What's this Chris, give or take a foot :-) ? (sorry, no icons on this new IE7). If they are going into confit tins then they will be about 6 inch diameter. They would be easy enough to turn, better finish too. No chain oil to clean off.

Seriously though, they could be cut with a router and simple circle cutting jig, they shouldn't need to be too thick. I agree that ply would not do the job for this and if it's pressing cheeses then it's going to be working wet too. So a wood that doesn't give off any smell or taste when wet. Would oak be good for that Chris?

How many would you need? The other way that would probably work would be to use the top and bottom that you cut out of the tins. They would be the correct size and food safe!!!

I would think that oak would be a no-no, after all it is used to flavour wine and brandy, and would probably impart taste and colour to the cheese. As I said above, I used circles of deal cut with a jigsaw and they were fine, it was the cheese which was rubbish. The brick worked well, it was a special culinary brick I kept in the kitchen for a while. It disappeared one day whilst I was out of the house...

I would think that by now Dick it will be "Just another brick in the wall"? Thinks, I could write a song about that???

The possible taste thingy was what I was thinking of too, although if it had a plastic sheet between it and the cheese then the only thing that would happen is that the plastic would probably leach some of it's lovely chemicals into the cheese. I think I've just talked myself out of that choice?

A wine press, as mentioned, would work, but if you wanted to make more than one cheese you would have to seperate them in the press, back to round things again, or just make one at a time, or buy a lot of presses. :-)

It's a bujjer not having smilies, but get used to it folks who go to IE7 in a few daze......