Complete France Forum

Aid for Creaky Spiral Staircase

Flower

Our 4 year old pine spiral staircase creaks terribly as we go up and down it. We've tried 'dutch/tung oil' , talcum powder, furniture polish, however the only solution giving temporary respite was candle wax.  It was a laborious process using an artist fine palette knife to push soft grated candle wax into all the joints especially where the 'rods' between handrail and step, enter the under side of the handrail, which seems to be the chief source of the creaks. At least we had near peace for a couple of weeks till the wax must have worked its way out. We've even tried supporting some of the steps from below so they don't dip too much, neither hubby nor I are heavy weights I hasten to add. Any suggestions please ?

Thanks Robin, sorry not a very good descrition of the staircase on my part. It's modern (4 years old), with open treads radiating from a central column, no other support. Yes the joints are loose but there's nothing I can do there, what  I need is a permanent solution to the creaks from wood forced against wood  (hence the candle wax giving a temporary solution) plus something to soak into the wood so it doesn't creak as it takes the load. I'm sure there must be something out there, just don't know what.

Flower

Given that it's a spiral staircase Robin I would be suprised that the supplier would go to the trouble of Kding the central log?

I think what has happened is that the central 'column' has shrunk longitudinally, even though the treads might have been down to an acceptable percentage. What might have been a perfect joint when constructed has been usurpedby Mother nature.

Therein lies the risk of mixing 'seasoned' timber with measurably dried stuff.

There may not be any visible entry points for wedges but they can easily be created.

Archived