Complete France Forum

Balls!

Jonzjob

Not only with wood, but I have just finished this 'monkey's fist.

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Monkeysfist1.jpg[/IMG]

It's used on the end of a 'heaving' or throwing line on boats. The idea is that you have the fist on a lighweight line attached to a heavier hawser for mooring, etc. You can throw the lighter line and the fist adds to the weight on the end of the line. In the olden days it was made around a steel ball, but as there is a good chance of killing a bystander on the canals round here I have turned a wooden ball for this one... That's why it is in this forum [8-|].. Very theraputic to make with an eye splice to start and then just start wrapping (no Chris, not the singing kind [:-))])

We used to make those in the Merchant Navy. Filled with nuts and bolts and dipped repeatedly into paint until they become solid. I actually knocked a tug-boat man out with one when it spun around a forestay and cracked him on the back of the head. Ooop's.

[quote user="Bugbear"]We used to make those in the Merchant Navy. Filled with nuts and bolts and dipped repeatedly into paint until they become solid. I actually knocked a tug-boat man out with one when it spun around a forestay and cracked him on the back of the head. Ooop's.[/quote]

Yes BB very funny ( Not!!) I have been on the receiving end of one of these[blink] They bl**dy hurt!!

Mind you I got him back when I returned the heaving line[:D][:P] 

Dogwood  [8-|]

[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p212/muddypaws4x4/part2tomonkeyfist.gif[/IMG]

Good looking knot JJ, knots are great! I always spliced my own climbing ropes, I never trusted somebody else with my life.

What's the king of knots? Bowline in my book, it never failed me, is easy to tie and unlocks quickly. The carters hitch is a really cool knot too. Where's me ropes!

Thank you Chris. I love doing things like that. There is nearly 5 meters of rope in that fist.

Your bowline, was that straight, on a bight, French, running or Spanish???

My favorite knot depends on what I am doing. Could be a reef knot, sheet bend, clove hitch ( a hitch isn't a knot really, it's a hitch). I just don't like to see a rope with a thumb knot in the end to stop it fraying. My ropes, the 3 strand ones, normally have a back splice at one end and an eye splice at the other. That just about covers most situations. You should be carefull with knots too because they will weaken the rope they are tied in, just with the bending of the rope. A bowline takes about 25 to 30% of the strength out of a rope while a clove hitch takes very little. "Not-a-lot-a-people-know-that! I used to know most of the strengths, but old age crept up on me?

Archived