Complete France Forum

Latest project.

Jonzjob

I have finally got around to making a bench for the terrace by our pool. I was given the wood a year or so before we left England. 3 bits. One was so heavy that two of us struggled to carry it and the removal blokes thought I was MAD! At first I thought it was walnut, then iroko, but it has turned out to be something like iron wood. It is very dense, heavy and it doesn't float! I just hope that one of my drunken friends doesn't see if it will [:-))]? The reason for the confusion was that it had been stood outside at a touring caravan site for a couple of years in it's rough state and was very weather worn...

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Bench4.jpg[/IMG]

This is just after I had started to cuts parts out. The 2 cranked parts on the bench are the back legs and they were cut out of the left of the rough plank. I don't think that by Bosch jigsaw will ever forgive me! I don't have planer/thicknessers. Just a cheepie electrifical planer and circ. saw. Apart from the band saw that is.

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Bench3.jpg[/IMG]

The finished article. Danish oil was used for the finish. BIG thank you to you Pads for that!![:D][:D] It took the colour to a deep, rich red colour and it looks really nice, as long as you don't look at the joinery toooo closely [:$]! I never did like joinery. Most of the tenons were done with my router and I don't think that will forgive me either! Is that wood ever hard!!

We like it and if anyone ever steals it they will be the ones with the hernia/rupture [:D]

The mortice is easy with a router. With stuff that herd I just had to do it a littlle slower. I removed 2 screws from the router base plate and screwed them back in with a spacer under each. Then just put the router on the rail, turned it till both spacers were bearing on the 2 sides of the rail and the cutter has got to be in the middle as long as the spacers are the same size. Just cut the length hole you need, job done. rather that take the round off each end of the 'oles I just took the corners off the tenons. Gud 'ere init??

Wow, well done Jonzjob! That is incredible that you turned that piece of wood into that lovely bench, very talented indeed. Now if you ever decide to go into business please let me know, I am having real trouble finding a carpenter. [:)]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thanks again Dick & JJ...been on a bit of a learning curve JJ, someone watching over decided to turn life upside down, it was easier being a machine than learning how to be a human being, sort of a Steve Austin in reverse...I dunno how you lot manage it. Good to see the section still moving, I,ll put a couple of piccies up when the new puter decides to share its secrets.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

Its been a while but...

This the latest stock of "pallet wood" ready for new projects. Most of it is about 3m x 25cm x 38mm. I reckon I will lose about 50% by the time its cut and planed into useable stuff. American stuff so its fair quality (for pallets!!!).

270920070721.jpg picture by powerdesal

The stack of the big stuff is double depth, the smaller stuff behind is about 2m x 10cm x 37mm