Complete France Forum

New ethnic gift shop in Gorron, Mayenne

Charlotte3

Hi Everyone,

I thought you might like to know about this new shop in Gorron which sells really nice and unusual ethnic gifts at really good prices. Most of their stock seems to be from India/Thailand/Tibet which makes a nice change from the usual Moroccan offerings here in Mayenne. The owner is British and is always open to suggestions as to what people want.  He also has a selection of second hand English books and some Oriental spices for Indian and Chinese cookery.

He also exhibits and sells paintings by a local artist named Ian McLeod who does abstracts in wax and acrylic.

Sorry for rabbiting on, but it really is nice to see this type of shop in Gorron, and I hope that everyone supports shops like this or else we'll lose them.

Aly

Don't forget to support your local French butcher, baker and grocery store while you're on.  Far too many of them are going to the wall under pressure from the supermarkets - partic. the butchers and general grocers. It's even more sad to see these dying out than gift and craft shops. [:(]

PS Our support for all of these need not be mutually exclusive!

Hi everyone

As this is my first contribution to the Forum I don't intend to be negative about someone offering a service and earning a living! What I'd like to know whereabouts is this shop and if possible a hint as to what it called. Hope this isn't against the rules

oh heck! I've just noticed that everyone else gives details of various shops so why not me?

Shop is called "la Maison de Cadeau" and is at 29 rue de Bretagne, Gorron   just beside Meubles Monier. If this message is taken off for infringing some obscure rule I shall be very cross 'cos everyone else is doing it!!!

By the way, there is a feature coming up in the Mayennne Courrier apparently, so well done Dave!!

Aly

[quote user="Charlotte3"]

Hi Helen,

It's nice to have a poisitive response.

I just wonder why it is more important to support a butchers shop than a gift shop? Everyone has to make a living regardless what they sell....if you see what I mean.

I've emailed you.

Aly

[/quote]

I think you misunderstood.  While putting in a plea to support local food shops I actually said that support for all of these (local food shops as well as interesting gift shops) need not be mutually exclusive. 

They all contribute to a thriving  local community.  [:D]

Sorry, Cassis....

As usual I didn't take the time to read and digest....just hopped onto my soapbox as usual!

This is a subject close to my heart because I was a longtime member and the vice President of our town Chamber of Commerce before moving to France and we had many similar problems to the small towns here in Mayenne.

Our particular solution was to encourage gift shops to open, which balanced the other shops which were almost all butchers, bakers, hardware etc.  This in turn brought in shoppers from the surrounding areas and rejuvinated the town centre. Of course the "old" traders (butchers etc.) resisted this invasion of unecessary and frivolous businesses, although they also benefitted from the new consumers! Sometimes you just can't win!

Cheers,

Aly