Complete France Forum

November 11th

a.foreman

Leclerc Alençon open from 9.00 to 18.00h (ish - can't remember exact hours).

Shame - it used to be mildly infuriating as a foreign visitor if a public holiday caught you out, but one of the things I used to admire about France was it's stalwart defence of Sundays and Holidays as days for rest and reflection.  11th November everything used to shut down and everyone would gather at the war memorial for the laying of the gerbe and a glass afterwards. 

But there's no room for that now. [:(]  Ah, well.

[quote user="Cassis"]Leclerc Alençon open from 9.00 to 18.00h (ish - can't remember exact hours).

Shame - it used to be mildly infuriating as a foreign visitor if a public holiday caught you out, but one of the things I used to admire about France was it's stalwart defence of Sundays and Holidays as days for rest and reflection.  11th November everything used to shut down and everyone would gather at the war memorial for the laying of the gerbe and a glass afterwards. 

But there's no room for that now. [:(]  Ah, well.
[/quote]Quite.  On another site (you know the one) we have been discussing how little attention is paid to this occasion and how the UK is one of the few countries where this is not a public holiday.  A pity when commerce gives way to the respect we owe to those brave soles.

Our local Champion is open 9 to 19.30 - so same as usual.  I've finally worked out why they seem to open all day on some bank holidays and until 12.30 on others (they used to be closed on all of them, til about 18 months ago).  It looks to me as though they close at lunchtime on religious holidays but stay open all day for others.

Archived