Complete France Forum

why no cheddar

maude

Would go along with jonzjob that Laguiole is not far removed from decent Cheddar, especially Laguiole Vieux (16-24 months) and (our favourite) Laguiole Grand Aubrac (7 months+ and made only May-Oct when the milk gains particular flavour from the wild flowers growing amidst the grass).

The basic Laguiole (4 months & 6 months) are less interesting, although if you don't like "strong" cheeses then maybe the 6 mo will do you as a Cheddar substitute.

The Champion in Gourdon (46) sells fab cheeses for those that can not live with out cheedar.  

1. Our favourite is a cheese called Tournais Fleuron made in Gers and it is the best cheddar we have tasted.  Salty and aged.
  2. We can also by a Wykes Farm strong cheedar which is our second choice.
  3. Then the ordinary cheedar cheese which is very good toasted and for cheese sauces. 
  4. OOhhh  and also Stilton - but I have not seen this for about 3 weeks.  It could be becuase we have all stocked up for Christmas.

It must be lunch time, guess thats a cheese toasty for the hubby.

[quote user="samdebretagne"]I have shredded mozzarella in my fridge now - I started seeing about 7 or 8 months ago.  It's the Santa Lucia brand, and comes in packets of 150g.  It's available in all of my local grocery stores (Carrefour, Leclerc, Monoprix, and Intermarché), though we all know that French supermarkets never stock the same thing because they're franchised.

[/quote]

Further confirmation, we saw the Santa Lucia shredded mozarella in Carrefour today.  It's not in our Leclerc, though.  Leclerc Alençon no longer have any sherry, either - the remarkable test display during the Wine Festival must have been a resounding failure!

Archived