Complete France Forum

Swingball

Acoustic

I want to buy a swingball set (post which sets into the ground or into the base used for a parasol, elastic rope with ball plus some raquets).  I haven´t been able to spot one.  Does anyone know of any of the larger chains or supermarkets who stock these?  Actually, having just described it I suppose we could try making our own...

The problem I foresee with making your own is finding a metal coil thingy to attach to the top of the pole, to which the ball and string are clipped.  With the "real thing", you snap the clip on halfway up the coil; as you play, the clip (with attached string and ball) works its way up (or down) according to the ability of the player. 
If you did not have this, the string would just wind its way around the pole with every hit, becoming shorter and shorter, n'est-ce pas?
I guess you could maybe fix a freely revolving loop to the top of the pole, to try and avoid the "winding-up" scenario.

But how would you make the tennis ball with the string attached, wthout puncturing the ball?

I bought my Swingball in the UK [:)]   But do always lay in a stock of spare ball-&-string at the same time. I find that during the winter the rats in the outhouse often take a fancy to the ball.  (Yes, I do try and remember to unclip it and keep it in the - rat-free - house, but my family are sometimes not as diligent.)

Angela

Archived