Complete France Forum

Drive repairs

johnycarper

Can anyone advise as to the law or process for a drive to our home that goes through farmers fields.The house we own has a long drive and our boundary only starts at the bottom near the house,the drive goes through the middle of the farmers fields.The farmer rents the fields from the previous owner of the house who kept the fields either side o f the drive,my question is who is liable for the upkeep of the drive up to our boundary.I have been told that the commune can help but not sure this is true,the drive needs to be leveled and the ruts filled in but it is about 500 yards long at least.

Any advice plaese.

Only your Mairie can answer such a local question but as a very rough indication if there is any official signage where the chemin leaves the main road then the chances are that it's adopted and therefore the communes responsibility.

If the farmers activities are damaging it or have damaged it then I believe that they can make him pay.

FWIW my access is similar, although not quite through farmers fields as such, and the commune are responsible for it's upkeep right up to the border of my property which is at the very end.

I think you are correct as we went to collect the post yesterday due to being snowed in for 5 days and the secretary said we should have phoned as they would have come down and cleared the drive and put de icer down.she said its part of their responsibility so i guess that sort of agrees with what you say.

Thanks.

Archived