Complete France Forum

Reading - try before you buy

I heard this site recommended on Radio 2. www.lovereading.co.uk

They offer the first chapter of a book (there is a reasonably good selection on their web site)to download free. No obligation and although you can buy from them, you can shop around for good prices elsewhere too.

>>I one spent 3 months on a contract with the Pru in Reading<<

Poor you !

However the Pru remains as one of Readings main employers and Reading is improving - slowly - its supposed to me the new 'Sex in the City' town !!

Still think the booksite is a pretty good deal though

Reading (the place) has always been great (as far as I, a visitor to friends for more than 20 years) is concerned.

Reading (the act) is also great, and anything that helps me sort out the rubbish is fantastic, so thanks, very much Gay.

Don't get me wrong, I like a bit of rubbish too, would it be very argumentative of me to mention The Da Vinci Code? Couldn't put it down, but thought it was terribly written.

tresco (Charente Maritime, Dept. 17)

Be careful here, don't forget Reading (the festival) :-) I'm also a great fan of the other two as well, though the Oracle is very overpriced and the choice of restaurants a little limited...

When I was growing up my school used to give leaflets about the reading phoenix choir. Why, I thought, would a phoenix read? I only managed to successfully parse the phrase a couple of years back.

I agree Tresco, I liked the Da Vinci Code despite the terrible writing and the plot being sometimes corny. It's all based on the Rennes le Chateau story for those that didn't know and want to read the "history" behind it. I read another book of his, Angels and Demons, which was frankly tosh though.

As far as Reading - the Oracle and eating are concerned, I'm not impressed, even the 'fast' food is slow and not very good,( I think I am just too old for that type of eating experience) but there is a Bistro, The London Street Brasserie ( I suppose that makes it a brasserie then) which does a good reasonably priced lunch, and a more expensive but good evening meal.

Archived