Complete France Forum

Hols in SW France

Anyone prepared to assess the real situation between the gitans and the maghrebins in and around Perpignan?  I have a holiday booked in Collioure and (naturally, I hope) do not wish to get involved with the CRS if I can avoid it...

I`ll have a go,

Firstly Colloiure is a different world to the areas of Perpignan that we involved in the trouble last week.

Mr O and I visited the area near the Prefecture the day after the killing of the Magrebian(sp), we wern`t aware that anything had gone on(missed the news the previous evening....out early in the mon morning)

We again visited Perpignan yesterday(saturday)...there was a large police/CRS presence , which made us wary of even a traffic/driving error. We went through the Arab quarter to reach our destination, plenty of shop windows boarded up, but to be honest we didn`t feel intimidated at all,no gangs or even stares from pedestrians(we drive a RHD french plated car)

We live a lot closer to Perpignan than your destination of Collioure and also have a village nearby with a large Gitaine populus and to be honest havn`t felt or seen anything untoward.

Hope this helps.

Mrs O

Archived