Complete France Forum

Knitting

Russethouse

I used to knit quite a lot but haven't picked the needles up for years. However a friend of mine is expecting their first grandchild and I have bought some French knitting patterns (more chic than English ones !) I have used French patterns before, many years ago and have now forgotten the translation/abbreviations. Does anyone know of a web site or have a list of the 'technical' terms please ?

I did some knitting 2 winters ago using a Phildar pattern book and made a list at the time of some abbreviations etc, if you haven't already found what you want: m=maille=loop; rgs=rangs=rows;augm-augmenter =increase;rab=rabattre=decrease or cast off;eman=emanchure=armholes;encol=encolure=neckline;cotes2/2=double rib;cotes1/1=single rib;jersey =stocking stitch;jersey env=jersey envers=reverse stocking stitch;monter=cast on. In fact I have a twothirds- made jumper in the cupboard so now you've reminded me I might get it finished. Pat.

My wife nearly caused a string of accidents on the autoroute thro' Lyon with her knitting.Of course,she was in the passenger seat but the car was RHD.Like the old days,when driving a car with the steering wheel on the wrong side,both in UK and abroad,we always made sure the passenger was equipped with a newspaper.

Archived