Complete France Forum

Being a dedicated fisherman for the last 33 years I have dreamed of owning my own lake now we are faced with this being a definate probability we are having all sorts of conflicting ideas. Initially we wanted to buy a lake with land to build on until we were refused a CU, then we looked at the lakes with houses built on them (too much money not big enough houses and not enough land).  Now we are buying a house in the vicinity of where we stated in the 1st place.

As for the usage of the lake whether it is for personal use or for a kind of venture we are as yet undecided.

We have two main concerns;

Primarily we are unsure whether or not we want the same amount of land (3-5 hectares) with a largish (1 hectare)  lake, or to go with 2 smaller lakes with less land for roughly the same price and have 2 places to look after.

Secondly and in reality we are undecided whether or not to purchase now and have them "running wild" until we get out to maintain them fully, or to wait and fish locally and wait and see what comes available after we have settled in.  

We are buying a house in the Charente (16) on the borders of 24 and 87

Look forward to receiving any helpful ideas or possible solutions to our dilemas 

• 2 weeks later...

Too late for the reply. 

As they say fools rush in and on Fri at 4am we checked our email before going to bed to find that 3 lakes were going cheap so after discussing it until 6am we went to bed.  I got up at 9am and rang the Immobilier. 

I got an appointment at 8.30am Sunday and then drove from North Yorks at 12pm Friday for the late ferry (even later as it was delayed by 4 hours).  Spent sat driving from Boulogne to the Dordogne.  Had to drive for 25 mins from the rendezvous to the lakes and after 10 mins I wanted them.  I spoke to the wife @ 95p per min for about 10 mins and went for it.

So once the S.A.F.E.R. have decided that they don't want it and the C.U. for the shower block and fosse has been approved (probably around early or mid autumn) then we will be new owners.

The "Vidage" may have to wait as I'm not sure if we will be there in time for it this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from France after signing the compris de vente and sale will be completed on 1 Nov 05.

• 6 months later...

Hi

Best of luck with your new venture.

I live in north Charente and keen carp fisherman.

Perhaps you would let me know where your lakes are - might give you a try !

If you need any assistance with lakes - I could do with some part-time income !

Once again best of luck with your new venture.

Archived