Complete France Forum

small gauge railways...

You want to build one, right?

I'm no expert, but a Discovery Channel series touched on them albeit briefly, there are a few more in the UK than you'd think, apparenly, many, very privately owned and run.

A bloke I worked with once built a 7" gauge model of a diesel shunter, (BR class 08). It ran off three Vauxhall Nova windscreen wiper motors, and three large batteries in parallel. It was used to give rides at a local park on their track, and certainly was strong enough to pull two "trucks" with about ten people sitting astride. The charge lasted most of the day.

He was building a live steam model of a "Black 5" in the same scale, last time I saw him, about 4 years ago.

Have you tried a Google search? Suppliers must advertise somewhere, and I bet most now have websites..............even the French have those now[;-)]

Alcazar

There are a number of extant 60 cm gauge lines in France - but this may be bigger than you are thinking of since none are model railways but real narrow gauge railways.

examples

Cappy - Dompierre in N France near Amiens

http://home.iae.nl/users/summer/16mmngm/Pics_htms/FRoissyDompierre.htm

Bligny sur Ouch - in Burgundy - near Dijon

http://www.lepetittraindebligny.com/

After that of course a wealth of lines to metre gauge.

[quote user="montagrier"]Nice guess.... but no I dont want to build one... but I want to know someone who wants to build one...

cheers anyway for your interesting info... I was hoping around a 12" gauge-ish

monti
[/quote]

There used to be a beauty near to Skegness where the old GNR London-Louth-Cleethorpes line crossed the main road into Skeggy. Bloke had bought the old goods shed, built on the land, and turned the goods shed into a pretty good museum too. The Railway was about 12" to 18" gauge, diesel powered and ran around his garden, even crossing a lovely home made stream on a small girder bridge.

Last time I visited Skeggy, I went. It was closed. Locals told me the bloke's wife died of cancer or something else awful, and he moved abroad.[:(]

If you live anywhere near south 87, let me know. I'll come and labour for you while we build one in your garden[:D]

If you live anywhere near Provence, have a ride on the metre gauge Chemin de Fer de la Provence. I'd suggest Nice to Lingostiere for a start. The main shed and "works" is at Lingostiere. The journey through the streets of Nice, then the climb up and out, has to be seen to be believed.

Alcazar, (interested in railways, from 2mm scale upwards).

Archived