Complete France Forum

Model Cars

redmike

Anyone know if there is a market for old model French cars as I have hundreds? I have some plastic, some metal, some still in boxes. They range from late 50's to mid 70's models.

I am putting together items for local brocantes and wondered if these cars were saleable! I am not a great fan of Ebay before someone suggest that alternative! 

There is I beleive a regular model fair in Avignon

Festival international des locomotives mécaniques / Salon de l'Auto 

AVIGNON 

Tel: 04 90 84 02 04
Fax: 04 90 84 02 98

Email : avignonretroexpo@wanadoo.fr
Site : www.avignon-retro-expo.com

Du 24/03/2006
au 26/03/2006 (Prochaines dates : voir l’organisateur)

So yes there is a market but it may well be more limited than the UK.

I collect 1/43 F1/Le Mans and I get quite a few from eBay - there are always plenty and lots of bidding, so you should be able to shift them there if you can put up with the hassle. Some move at quite high prices - it may be worth a recce.

On the other hand our local depôt vente has had the same dozen for at least five years...

I collect 1:24 Ferraris.  Plastic kits.  Eventually I'll get around to making a display cabinet but in the meantime they sit in boxes in the barn (over 2 years now).

I (briefly) thought about selling them and I decided that if I did I would put them on E-Bay as I've sold old train sets and Scalextric there and had good results, so that could be worth trying.

Oh, Dick's already said that.

Appreciate that you said "French cars", but that just may have included models of Jaguars made by French manufacturers.  If you (or anyone else) has got any Jags, my mate back in the UK is a barmy Jaguar man.

Returning to your original question, you can buy brocante mags in any well-stocked Presse, which cover the sale of all sorts of items - from the routine 'period' furniture, pictures and rubbish like dolls, to more interesting things like your collection. Some of your things could well be quite valuable, but I'm sure you know that.  Problem, as always, is finding the right buyer.

Would it be out of the question to put up a list of your items (with the price), either as a post or on a website?  There might be a few of us who'd be interested.

This is a 'bloke' thread (though anyone can join in, I suppose).

Things like cars, trains, aircraft - that sort of thing.  As opposed to dolls, jam, that sort of stuff.

Since it seems to be 'the thing' to ask James for, can we have a 'blokey' type Section? 

Sorry pal, but I bet I know more about cars and motorbikes than you give me credit for, just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I can't join in. 

Any way, which Jaguar are we talking about here, seeing as I may be able to quote original parts numbers, if I dig back deep enough in this fuzzled brain of mine.  Sorry, did I not mention I used to work for a British classic car company?

Dotty ............

I stand corrected, but it's my pal who's the car enthusiast.  He's a real Jag freak, but v knowledgable (as far as I'm able to judge).  He's had Concours vehicles over the years (real cars, that is) and collects model cars big-time.

Now when it comes to railways .............

[quote user="Ian Horn"]

This is a 'bloke' thread (though anyone can join in, I suppose).

Things like cars, trains, aircraft - that sort of thing.  As opposed to dolls, jam, that sort of stuff.

Since it seems to be 'the thing' to ask James for, can we have a 'blokey' type Section? 

[/quote]

Best hope Cooperlola doesn't get wind of this post as well, Ian! [:D]

Like Atlas Editions collection La Poste delivery vans, that sort of thing?

I could ask if a La Poste van will fit in a Boîte Postale next time I visit La Poste, if you like. 

Or maybe you could have them delivered to a forum member?

Editions Atlas

[img]http://www.editionsatlas.fr/servlet/picture/LaPostePhotoColl450.jpg[/img]

Or maybe the DS collection?

[img]http://www.editionsatlas.fr/servlet/picture/DSPhotoColl350.jpg[/img]

I've got model kits of an Alpine Renault A110 and a 1200 Beetle waiting to be built when I've got some spare time.  Does that qualify me to join in here?...[:)]

I've also got some odds and ends of railway stuff left over from when I did Scalefour modelling years ago in the UK.  I've also got a workshop the size of an small church hall, so I could end up modelling the whole West Coast Mainline......[:-))]

I used to make whitemetal kits, but then I realised that I could pay less (about £20) and get a better model diecast. And then I discovered the Ixo and other stuff on magazine covers at €10 or so. I've never done railways, though I've recently rediscovered 54mm figure painting - but the eyesight isn't what it was, sadly.

Philo - that is the sort of thing, the latest series is the belles monstres d'endurance or some similar. If you will ask the postie if they will keep them for me, that would be very cool and earn much thanks and a pint or two if you are ever down our way.

(Bit excited, as it looks as though Sunderland might be winning away. And so do Carshalton Athletic!)

Oh, Dick, that's a good series.  I'll ask at La Poste this week if it's possible for an etranger to have them delivered to a BP for collection at a later date (if I've understood correctly).  If not, do you want to have them delivered here and I'll send them on in one package to you, if you like, once complete?

[:)]

Thanks for the replies guys (and gals)! I have been offline over the weekend so I am a bit behind with reading through them.

The model cars are all boxed up in my loft in England so will probably just transport the lot to France and sort through them there - looking for Jags and Ferraris maybe! I have English cars mixed in with the French.

They are what you would call toy cars rather than the plastic kits if I have confused anyone. I certainly have some of the Post Office vans as displayed in one of the replies.

Might consider ebay once I have more time on my hands as I am giving up full time work in a few months time.

Archived