Complete France Forum

Congratulations to Renault

Unknown

And for all his faults you have to admire the way he ran his last race, and dare I say it, his humility in congratulating Massa and Alonso and then retiring from the spotlight.

I still don't fully inderstand why he is going. He says he doesn't want another winter of training, and I suppose that may be true.

I think he wanted to get out while he is still on top - or certainly well up there. He's done a lot of things he would rather were forgotten, as well as some remarkable achievements. By going now he'll be remembered more for the good things so I can see his point. They were saying on the telly how close Alonso is to MS at the equivalent stage in his career - similar number of wins etc. And how Alonso has the potential to do what Schumacher has done. I'm sure we haven't seen the back of MS. He may not be driving in F1 but he'll still be around for a long time yet.

They also pointed out on the telly how the Renault team is really not French at all - it's the same Benetton team that Michael Schumacher got his first real success with after an incredible but brief debut with Jordan.

He has been racing for a long time and I guess he realises there is a lot of younger competition out there.

I watched the race on a German channel and the coverage after the race of Michael had me feeling a little sad. 

I'm sure he will be missed.

I feel a bit sorry for those of you who didn't have the chance to watch the ITV coverage of the race.  The Martin Brundle pit walk was  perfect.  While Pele was giving MS his farewell presentation, Mr Brundle walked up to Kimi R who was sitting on the pit wall.  "Why weren't you watching Michael's presentation?" Brundle asked him.  " I was having a s***" was Kimi's reply.  A live TV classic and no mistake.[:D]

I for one will not be sorry to see the back of MS and his cheating tactics, although he would have been one of the greats - and no mistake - if he had not deemed it necessary to bring the so called sport of F1 into disripute with his antics.

Archived