Complete France Forum

helping the planet

heidi h

It was obviously no surprise to read last week that yes we are destroying this planet. I would really like to do some voluntary environmental work in my spare time. I live in dept 11 Aude. Has anyone any suggestions or any links to helpful websites?

Thanks for the replies. Planetepassion had some very interesting links including one to a great informative website about birds - now I know all french names for the birds in my garden. I  suppose I was thinking about conservation/cleaning up work but I'm not really sure. Thats not very helpful is it? Just felt I really wanted to do something for nature and wildlife......

HH, I don't know if you were originally from the UK or if you had any experience of conservation or wildlife work "over there", I'm sure that some other forum members have, but, like so many things, it's a completely different situation in France and one which I find very frustrating in so much as it is, as ever in France, very restrictive in what is and is not possible.

When working with wildlife trusts in the UK it was possible for them to purchase or have donated land which was of interest, even if only of marginal interest and it was possible for volunteer members to manage those areas, actual hands on physical work of the habitat structure etc. Here in France the situation is completely different, very little land is actually owned by associations and any projects tend to be operated with the consent and co operation of the land owners (this also can be the case in the UK), but in France it will normally only be the employees of the associations that have any input and  labour if required is employed.

An example, take a village pond or mare communale. In the UK it would be possible for this to be managed or restored by the local residents or volunteers from a wildlife trust or similar. In France this is not the case, although the project could be proposed and co-ordinated by an association, labour would be employed to perform the actual work.

It is possible for someone, such as myself, to do voluntary species recording because this doesn't involve "work", or at least, that's how I understand the situation. It's also very difficult to make even private land a "natural reserve", you can't just do it, it has to be proven to be of outstanding importance and all sorts of legal obstructions overcome, in fact even the use of the word "reserve" has very specific legal restrictions placed upon it's use.

I hope that this doesn't seem too negative, I'm always looking for solutions.

Perhaps someone else has some comments?

Chris

Archived